Chapter Seventy: Service

Jennifer's Pov

The house was silent, and it was a sound I hated deep in my gut. It used to be filled with so much more life. Judith would be laughing, racing around the room with Carl while Rick and I got ready for the day and smiled. Luke would come racing in with Daryl and Kayla right behind him, and we would all set up for breakfast.

All of that was gone. I turned in bed, looking to the little boy sleeping next to me peacefully. For now, a least. For the past four nights, he woke up screaming from his night terrors about Kayla, Abraham, and Glenn's death. My stomach twisted on myself at the memories of my daughter. Her pale skin, her bloodshot eyes, the way she felt limp in my arms.

I sat up and looked around the room, wishing there was a way I could go back in time, but I couldn't. I was stuck with what I got and climbed out of bed to not wake up Luke. He was my little sleeping buddy, given I kicked out Rick once we returned to Alexandria. Call me a bitch, I don't care, but I agreed with Kayla.

I knew our group was strong and that we could easily take out the Saviors when we did, but I also warned Rick like Kayla did. I warned that we should be fighting for our own group, and the Hilltop was a bit of a risk. He ignored me, and being his wife, I followed in his lead, but now I was angry with him.

Angry for him being all bad and powerful to everyone else, but when it came to Negan and his army, Rick coward away. Negan was taunting Kayla right next to Rick, and he just sat there. It shocked me. If Kayla was near me, I would have said something or taken the heat away from Kayla, but Rick just sat there.

I spat the paste from my mouth and rinsed it before carefully walking out of the room and toward's Judith's. It was her temporary home before we finished the hidden compartment where she and Luke will hide when Negan and his rats returned. Michonne and I came up with my closet.

I never realized it until we came back, but if you pulled on a string that was just above the door, a latter came up and showed an attic. When I showed Michonne, we decided it was a perfect small place to keep Judith. The only problem was how dark it was, and we knew if we kept Judith inside for a long time, she would cry.

It was what I called a work in progress. I opened the door to her room and smiled, seeing the small little girl already standing and staring at me. She grabbed her binky from her crib and smiled, jumping up and down for me to pick her up.

" Good morning, my little jitterbug." I greeted, picking her up and kissing her forehead." Let's go feed you. You hungry."

" Hes," Judith spoke, and I smiled, hearing the adorable way she pronounced, yes.

" Good cause I have some strawberry and banana yogurt waiting for you." I laughed, heading downstairs and smiling at the younger girl.

Reaching the final step, I saw Rick sleeping on the couch where he has for the past four days. Yeah, maybe I am a bitch. I turned away, heading to the kitchen and setting Judith in her high chair. She smiled at me, and I smiled back, feeling the tears in her eyes. Judith didn't know the tragedy around her.

Judith didn't know she would never see her big sister again or the fact that Glenn, Abraham, Kayla, and Daryl were gone. I wiped the tears from my eyes and turned, grabbing the yogurt from the fridge and handing her a spoon. Judith was a big girl compared to the tiny baby I met at the prison.

She had character doing things herself and having great manners. Normal one-year-olds would have made a mess when eating, but she looked up at me while eating and getting the yogurt into her mouth perfectly.

" If only all babies were like you."

" Did you sleep good?" I heard and turned to the living room seeing Rick was awake folding his blanket and pillow.