Chapter Thirty: Arrows On The Doorpost

┏━━━━━━ Kayla's Pov ━━━━━━┓

" Out of all people, I should be going."

I paced the room a bit uncomfortable not being with my parents or Daryl. The Governor wanted a meeting with my Dad and he left with Mom, Daryl, and Hershel as backup. Mom was there to speak to the Governor having been one of his watchmen's. Daryl was for back-up and Hershel could be persuasive.

I tried to go, but they shot me down. Told me it was a risk and it made me upset watching their cars zoom off. That was where I stood now. Glenn, Maggie, Michonne, and Carl stood in the cafeteria loading up bullets and matter-of-factly hearing my little rant.

" What if he does something to them?"

" Don't worry." Glenn said placing his hands on my shoulder." They'll be back before you know it. Probably on their way back now."

" If only I believed that." I said biting my lip nervously." I should of went. What if Daryl gets upset and snaps at them? I'm always the one to calm him down."

" You're also the one that broke up with him." Maggie pointed out causing me to groan.

" Oh...right."

Glenn snickered turning away from me," Carl, come here." he called and Carl looked up." You stash these at the loading dock. All right? Beth, put more up on the catwalk. If anyone gets pinned down, we need to make sure that they have plenty of ammo. I'll go work on the cage outside."

" Need help? I'm like desperate out here." I asked.

" What we should be doing is loading some of this firepower in a truck and paying a visit to the Governor." Merle announced standing off into the corner." We know where he is right now."

" Are you suggesting that we just go in and kill him?" Glenn questioned.

Merle nodded his head," Yeah, I am."

" We told Daryl that we'd stay put." I pointed out causing Merle to chuckle.

" You also promised Daryl to be with him forever, but now you got him weeping every night." Merle said causing my to tense wondering if it was true." I've changed my mind, sweetheart. Being on the sideline with my brother out there ain't sitting right with me."

" The four of them are right in the middle of it. No idea we're coming. They could get taken hostage or killed." Glenn explained shaking his head." A thousand things could go wrong."

" And they will."

" My dad can take care of himself." Carl stated causing the man to look down at him.

" Sorry, son, but your dad's head could be on a pike real soon."

" Hey !" I yelled, causing the oldest Dixon to look at me." Do me a favor and shut your mouth. Don't say that to him. It's not the right move. Not now. Can't take the risk of putting them in the crossfire. That's my decision. It's final. So kiss my ass, Dixon. Glenn, let's go."

My rage was getting the best of me and I walked up the stairs heading out to the cages with Glenn. The cold air slapped my cheeks and I pulled on my jacket tighter knowing August had ended and we were most likely in mid-September.

" Kayla."

" Yeah?" I asked picking up the tools and starting to outline the box we would make.

" Back at the tombs...when Daryl left." He spoke and I turned knowing what he was talking about." When I snapped on you, it was unneeded. I should of been a better friend and...helped you...not yell at you."