Chapter Thirty Nine: We're Alive.

┏━━━━━━ Kayla's Pov ━━━━━━┓

" Home, sweet home."

The words came out bitter, taking a swing of the moonshine and letting it burn my throat. I wanted to forget. I tried to forget everything about Kayla Clarie Grimes. I didn't want to hold onto someone I never was going to see again. I was stupid. Stupid to let her run into the smoke. Why would I do that?

She was in my arms. She was right in front of me, and I let her run away from me. I took another swing on the moonshine, knowing she was out there, fighting. Surviving. She had to be. She was broken right now, but she was out there making it in this world, and I couldn't do shit to help her. That's what burns.

The woman I love is out there was in pain, needing me to reassure her multiple things, and I couldn't. Hell, I didn't even know if she was with anyone that could do so. The thought burned my chest, and I sat up, fighting the tears.

" Wanna play a game?" Beth asked, sitting on the floor and staring at me with her big blue eyes.

When the prison fell, I found myself with the youngest Greene. She held her gun up high and was firing away when she asked me if I seen her family. When I didn't, I grabbed her and ran, watching the walkers come into the courtyard after us.

" Sure. Let's play some damn game." I answered, watching her quickly move over to the table in front of me.

" So first I say something I've never done, and if you have done it, you drink, and if you haven't, I drink. Then we switch. You really don't know this game?"

" I never needed a game to get lit before," I spoke when she laughed, thinking it was some kind of joke.

" Wait, are we starting?" She asked in confusion.

" How do you know this game?" I asked, seeing her cheeks turned pink.

" My friends played. I watched." She answered, taking a deep breath." Okay, I'll start. I've never shot a crossbow. So now you drink."

I held the mason jar in my hand and frowned," Ain't much of a game." I said, taking a swing of it.

" That was a warm-up. Now you go." Beth explained.

I chewed on the edge of my dumb, trying to think of something to get this girl drinking," I don't know."

" Just say the first thing that pops into your head." She encouraged, giving me a smile.

" I've never been out of Georgia," I spoke, seeing the proud look on her face filled with shock.

" Really? Okay, good one." She said, taking the mason jar into her hand and drinking away." I've never...been drunk and did something I regretted."

Without hesitation, I picked up the mason jar feeling the many things come to mind, "I've done a lot of things." I admitted.

The first memory came from the night we all got drunk at the CDC. I didn't regret punching Shane, but I did regret never telling Kayla how much she meant to me. Not even a day later, she got shot and almost died. I should have just told her that night, given she would have never remembered anyway.

" Your turn."

" I've never been on vacation," I said.

" What about camping?" She questioned, but I shook my head.

" No, that was just something I had to learn to hunt."

" Your Dad teach you?" She asked, bringing back the memories of my father.