Chapter Forty Nine: Them

┏━━━━━━ Kayla's pov ━━━━━━┓

Three weeks since we left Atlanta...
Three weeks since Beth died...
Three weeks since Tyreese died...
Thirteen weeks pregnant....

The journey to Washington was not supposed to take this long. It only took an hour to get from Richmond to Washington in an ordinary world, but we were in no ordinary world. A herd had blocked our way, and we lost our third vehicle having everyone divide into two cars. The northeast had many storms, and we had to pull over four times due to heavy rain that blocked our vision.

The blue suburban broken down, and we had to find spare parts. It didn't last long before it broke down altogether, leaving us to all pile into a van. I stood by the van with my eyes closed. I was sweating like crazy, almost feeling like I took a swim under the hot sun. We stopped yet again, determined to find some food or water. Daryl, Sasha, and Maggie went off to find water while the others sat around.

One hand lay on my stomach, but nobody questioned it. Thirteen weeks was the number. Three months pregnant with heartburn, morning sickness, and tiredness. I worried mostly about the baby growing inside me rather than my actual self. I haven't eaten in a full meal in days again, and soon if I didn't, the baby would be in danger.

" Honey." Someone said, and I opened my eyes, seeing Mom smiling. She handed me a water bottle with barely any water left in it.

I stared at it before reaching up and grabbing it." Thanks." I croaked and took one sip seeing it was gone.

The hot sun must have beamed on the water for it to almost burn my throat like boiled water. I wiped my lips with the end of my hand and handed the bottle to Mom. She nodded, putting the bottle in the bag of empty bottles just in case they did find an after water system.

" Nothing ?" Mom asked.

I followed her gaze, glimpsing Daryl, Maggie, and Sasha stroll over with nothing in their hands. The sight was enough to cause me to give up, but I didn't. I looked away and down to my stomach.

" We'll get through this. I promise."

" Everyone back in the truck," Dad demanded, and everyone piled in till we were squished.

Abraham drove while Dad sat in passenger with Judith in his arms and Mom in his lap. In the back was Glenn with Maggie in his lap, Rosita with Tara sitting on the ground in front of her, Noah squished, and Eugene. In the third row, Carl and I squished against Daryl and Michonne on the floor with Carol and Gabriel in the trunk.

I felt Daryl's eyes burn into the side of my head, but I didn't look at him. Even if I did, he wouldn't do anything. He would just look away per usual. I looked out the window for a long time while rubbing my stomach with my thumb. We had to be close by now, and I knew this could be our last van ride if we just pulled through. On queue, the van popped, causing us to jump and hear the engine sputter.

" We're out, just like the other one," Abraham said, and Dad nodded, looking down to a sleeping Mom in his arms.

" So we walk," Dad said, shaking Mom awake.

When the sun fully shined over the land, we all looked exhausted. I was next to Maggie, but we did not talk, having nothing to say to one another. Honestly, what could we even talk about?

" We're not at our strongest." I heard and slowly looked up, seeing it came from Dad, and he was talking to Daryl and Mom." We'll get 'em when it's best."

" High ground." Mom started and looked to both men who looked back at her." Something like that. They're not going anywhere."

" Its been three weeks since Atlanta. I know you lost something back there. So did Kayla. She needs you." Dad said, and it surprised me when Daryl took a glance over his shoulder, but I looked away, not wanting him to see I was snooping.