Chapter Thirty Five: Isolation

┏━━━━━━ Kayla's Pov ━━━━━━┓

I tied the end of my combat boots, exhausted beyond measure, but work had to be done. I stood up feeling much cleaner then I did when digging the graves. The shower was much needed. I turned to get my holster when a shadow came over me.

" Kay, you okay?" Daryl asked, leaning against the door frame. I looked up to him before nodding and placing the belt in each loop of my pants.

" I'm fine." I lied even to myself and looked up to him." I gotta be, right ?"

He shook his head." No. It's okay to not be alright."

I cleared my throat, nodding." Ben was only seven, and this world took him away. Miranda had to watch her seven years old be placed in the group. The same thing happened to Carol when we buried Sophia." I explained." I don't want that to be me."

" It won't be you." He answered, but I laughed and shook my head.

" This world is too dangerous for Carl and Judith." I said, nodding my head." That's why I would do anything to protect them."

He nodded, walking over to me and pulling me in a tight embrace." And you're doing a hell of a great job."

" Am I ?" I asked, and he nodded, rubbing my back.

" Grimes !" I heard and frowned before leaving the cell and seeing Tyreese stomping up the stairs towards me.

" Ty-"

" Where is your Dad? Tell me now, or I'll kill you !" Tyreese yelled.

Daryl got in front of me, holding his hands up to the furious man. " Tyreese, what's wrong ?" Daryl said calmly, but Tyreese pushed Daryl out the way angrily.

" Daryl !"

" Grimes, where is he at? Tell me where your Dad's at now !" Tyreese yelled, grabbing my arm and squeezing it very tightly.

I yelped in pain, feeling his nails dig into my skin a bit." Get off of me !"

" Tyreese, I'm right here." I heard and turned to see Dad holding his hands out while Carol stood behind him. 

I didn't even notice Daryl had grabbed his crossbow and aimed it at Tyreese till Dad placed his hand on it and lowered it. He nodded to Daryl before looking back to us.

" Let go of my daughter."

" All of you follow me. Now !" Tyreese yelled, throwing me back a bit and stomping past everyone.

Daryl ran over to me and helped me up. He didn't say anything but gave me a look. I nodded that I was okay and followed the group. We went to Karen's room to see blood leading to a big brown door, and I couldn't ignore the smell of burning flesh. Tyreese kept walking till we got outside, seeing the charred bodies of Karen and David.

" Oh, god," I said, shocked seeing Karen like this when just a couple of hours ago, she was helping Miranda with the death of Ben. I instantly covered my mouth, feeling my lunch begin to come up.

" I came to see Karen." He explained slowly following the trail of blood." and I saw the blood on the floor. Then I smelled it." Slowly the anger soon came to his face." Somebody dragged them out here and set them on fire! They killed them and set them on fire !" Tyreese yelled before darting over to my Dad, but I stood right in front of him." Move Kayla."

" Make me." I snapped back, but Dad placed his hand on my shoulder and nodded that it was okay.

I moved away and looked at Tyreese to see he was frustrated at me cause I kept getting in his way. He looked back at Dad, still angry.