Chapter Fifty Six: First Time Again

┏━━━━━━ Kayla's pov ━━━━━━┓

My foot tapped against the floor, and my hands fiddled with the violet flower Daryl had brought me from his journey. Mom shot Pete. It was still fresh in my head, and I was proud of her for doing so, knowing she no longer had to live in fear. We all stood in my new home to discuss Morgan's new arrival. Luckily, Carl had put Luke to bed way before the chaos, so the little boy slept through everything. I felt Daryl's hand on my bump and smiled over to him, seeing he was staring at it.

" Thank you," Morgan spoke, taking the spoon and whirling the steam around the left over soup Mom was serving the men.

She placed one in front of Daryl, and he licked his lips, sitting up and beginning to eat. I smiled, noticing how dirty he was and knew he needed some food and rest.

" You were right." Morgan said, looking over to my father," It wasn't over."

I wondered if Dad had even heard him since he never lifted his head and continued to stare at the map in his hands. Mom must have noticed looking over to Rick with a tired look.

" We should talk more tomorrow-"

" Listen...I don't take chances anymore." Dad spoke, turning around to look at his former friend.

" And you shouldn't." Morgan agreed.

Aaron nodded," We have a spare house down the block. Food, electricity, water. You're welcomed to stay."

" It's almost like this place was before the turn." Morgan cheered, but I shook my head.

" It makes this place weak." I muttered, having Daryl's eyes on me," Makes the people weak."

" I should get some rest." Morgan stated, finishing the last of his soup and standing up." May I be shown to a house ?"

" Of course," Aaron replied, standing up with Morgan.

He pulled his bag over his shoulder before turning to me with an endearing smile and leaving out the door. The house fell silent, and I noticed the only ones left were Dad, Mom, Daryl, and myself. Dad didn't dare look towards us, but instead at his feet with his jaw clenched in anger.

" So, how's it been ?" Daryl asked, and I sent him a look knowing it was the worst time to speak since my father probably wanted to murder him. He was confused and frowned at me, but I ignored his worry standing up from my seat.

" Dad-"

At my words, Dad had remained staring at the ground, but he quickly walked towards the door and left without another word. I didn't like my Dad upset with me even if it wasn't my fault. I needed him, and I felt like I had lost him.

" Everything okay ?"

" My Dad knows about the baby." I answered, looking over to Daryl." He's not happy at all."

" Give him some time, Kayla," Mom spoke, but I shook my head.

" How long? Nine months? Nine years? Mom, he disowned my child."

" What?" Daryl questioned alarmed

" I know, but right now, you can't stress. You already done everything else to stress over the hills."

" She did what ?" Daryl asked, and I groaned, remembering he had not been around when I did most of the recklessness.

" I went on a run while you were gone."

" What?" He gasped, giving me a stern look." Kayla, what the hell were you thinking ?"

" In all honesty, I still don't know."