Chapter Sixty Two: No Way Out

┏━━━━━━ Kayla's pov ━━━━━━┓

" Mom ?"

The voice came from Sam Anderson and he didn't manage another word before Jessie placed her hand over his mouth to stop him from speaking any further. I tightened my grip on Luke' hand in warning to not do the same thing. My eyes followed the walkers seeing how they had no clue humans were among them. They smelled walkers, but how long would it last before they attacked our human scent ?

How much long until we had to start running and feared losing one another ? Dad moved slightly to the right beginning to guide us off the street and towards the edge of the lake where bushes could hide us from the walkers. I remained holding Luke's hand looking to see Dad staring at us.

" Alright, new plan." Dad whispered checking to see if the walkers had heard." Flares from a few guns aren't enough. Too many walkers, too spread out. We're not going to the armory. We need our vehicle back at the quarry. All of us drive. We'll need to round them up. We leave. We come back."

" Okay." Jessie said before her eyes travelled to Carl's arms," But Judith. To the quarry and back I..."

I glanced towards Carl's drape noticing the little movements from Judith probably trying to see what was happening or worried about her family shunning her eyes. It was a given miracle she had not squealed yet or call any of our names innocently. She must of been in a state of shock or comtempt to even want to.

" I'll take her." Gabriel spoke licking his lips." Keep her safe in my church until you all lead the walkers away."

" Can you do it ?" I questioned eyeing the man for a flaw.

" I'm suppose to." He insisted." I have to. I will."

My eyes went to Judith not wanting her out of my sight. She was my baby sister and I wanted her to be safe. I watched Carl slowly move forward slightly hesitant to give Judith up so soon. I caught Judith's eyes for a second before she was placed in Gabriel's arms and under the drape. She was scared and her little cheek was stained with walker blood from our drapes.

" Take Sam." Jessie whispered pushing her son forward.

The small boy's eyes instantly filled with fear." No." He protested.

" Yes, Sam. It'll be safer."

" I'm not leaving you." He pressed staring into his mothers eyes." Mom, I'm not. I can keep going. Please. Let's just go."

Jessie stared at her son and I could tell she very much wanted him to go with Gabriel, but she nodded her head and squeezed her hand turning back to Dad.

" I wanna stay too." Luke's little voice whispered.

I wanted Luke to remain by my side, but I knew that would be selfish of me. He needed to be safe and god only knows what we were about to get ourselves into.

" Luke, I think-"

" Mommy please !" Luke had shouted and I was concerned about what he had called me rather then if the walkers had heard.

Never in my life had I heard those words said towards me and it caused me to be more protective towards the little boy looking at me. His eyes started to water and he moved his drape to show me his knife I had given him.