Chapter Forty One: The Grove

┏━━━━━━ Jennifer's Pov ━━━━━━┓

I stared at the baby in my arms, who was fast asleep by now, but I was just thankful she wasn't crying. She looked so much like Lori with the brown hair and brown eyes, but she sure did have Rick's attitude already. If you ask me, I didn't see much Shane in her at all, but maybe it was just me.

I thought about him. Rick, of course. My husband that I now lost about a week ago from today. He was always on my mind, along with our daughter and son. I knew my family was alive. They were strong in there own unique ways. Carol and Lizzie were also up staring in the woods. It was quiet at night. I didn't even hear a walker at all.

" You can sleep, Lizzie. I'm okay." I heard Carol said as I noticed the twelve-year-old was looking everywhere for a walker.

She looked over to Carol and shook her head." If there's trouble. I can take Judith. I can help." Lizzie explained.

" You really think you can help me ?"

" I know I can, ma'am," Lizzie promised.

I looked back down to Judith, who moved closer to my chest. I took off my jacket and wrapped her in it, not caring if I got cold. She smiled in her sleep at the warmth pressing her hand to my chest.

" Do you think there'll be kids there? At Terminus ?" Lizzie questioned.

" If their parents kept them safe like Tyreese and Jennifer kept all of you safe."

" I saved Tyreese. There were people shooting at him. I shot them. First, a man than a woman. I didn't mean to shoot her in the head."

" You had to. You saved Tyreese." Carol reassured, causing Lizzie to half nod.

" Maybe there'll be kids there, even if their parents couldn't keep them safe. Maybe the kids kept their parents safe."

" Yeah."

" Did you have kids ?"

" I did. A kid. A daughter." Carol whispered.

I looked up in shock seeing the remorse in her face at the memory. Probably a memory she didn't want to resurface.

" What was she like ?" I asked, not even realizing the words came out.

" She was sweet. She didn't have a mean bone in her body."

" Is that why she isn't here now ?" Lizzie questioned.

" Lizzie," I warned, shaking my head at the young girl knowing she didn't know better. She looked to the ground thinking before back up to Carol.

" Do you miss her ?"

" Everyday."

" Would you miss me? " Lizzie asked worriedly.

" I'm not gonna have to miss you." Carol answered, giving a warm smile." You're dead on your feet. Go sleep next to your sister, okay ?"

" But, ma'am, I can help." Lizzie butted in, but Carol was faster.

" I'm going to need your help looking after things tomorrow. Go to sleep, okay ?" Carol advised watching Lizzie nod her head.

I heard Tyreese cry out in his sleep and turned, seeing he was having a nightmare. Karen. Mika quickly woke up and shook him awake, whispering something. It helped the man settle down before Mika turned and cuddled close to Lizzie.

" I didn't know you had a daughter," I spoke, turning away from the girls and to Carol.

" Her name was Sophia."