Chapter Forty Six: Grady Memorial

┏━━━━━━ Kayla's pov ━━━━━━┓

The sound of a clock ticking was the only thing I heard when slowly waking up from my slumber. I opened my eyes, and the first thing I saw was the green ceiling with a fan actually blowing air. I looked next to me to see a hospital monitor and began to freak out. The hospital was done. The dead rose and took them over.

Had it all been a dream? I stretched my legs out in front of me and slowly sat up, feeling how sore my back muscles were. I ripped the nose tube from my nose and started with the cords next when the door had opened. I gasped, reaching for a scalpel next to me only to see the figure of Beth Greene.

" Beth ?" I questioned, dropping the scalpel onto the ground and embracing her in my arms.

I had found her. The girl I knew from back at the prison, the girl that had been with Daryl when it fell, she was here, and she was alive.

" Kayla." Beth breathed, squeezing my body.

I laughed at the sound of her voice before holding her face in my hand." Oh my god, Beth. Daryl told me you were taken. How did you find me ?"

" I was, and I still am." She spoke sadly." I didn't find you. "

My stomach twisted in a knot, and the smile soon wiped from my face at her tone," Beth, we're not with the group, are we ?"

Beth nodded slowly, turning to the curtains that covered the windows. I quickly walked over and rip the curtains seeing the dead city of Atlanta. The buildings were blown away, rotting to the last brick and cement. I stared at the aftermath remembering the day I watched the bombing.

The day I met Daryl. My hands began to tremble, and I covered my mouth in shock, knowing how far I was from the Church. Miles miles away from my family. I was back at square one of the CDC or when I first met Guillermo's group.

" Kayla, you need to relax." Beth warned, pulling my arm away from the sight." You're vulnerable and need to rest."

I ripped my eyes away from the city." Vulnerable ?" I questioned.

" You don't know ?" She asked, her blue eyes wild in shock and fear." I thought you would know by now given stomach bugs don't last this long."

I frowned," Beth, what's going on ?"

" Kayla, you're pregnant."

My mind had drawn a blank. I could feel the color in my face drain at her words. Pregnant. My hand continued to tremble, and I could feel nausea set it, but I bit it down, taking a deep breath. I didn't want kids. Not after Sophia and Ben. Not after living in this world.

So why was I happy? I placed my hand on my stomach not believing there was a little baby in me ready to come into the world soon. Daryl and I made a baby. I was carrying a child.

" What ?"

" When they bring a patient in, they do a full scan. They took an ultrasound to find you were ten weeks pregnant. I thought you knew," Beth explained.

I shook my head in shock," Oh my god." I breathed." Where are we ?"

" Grady Memorial Hospital."

" I need to find Daryl. I need to get home." I said, determined, but voices were heard down the hall.

Beth quickly looked at me and grabbed my hand." Get in bed. Act sick." She instructed, quickly pushing me onto the bed.

" What ?"

" Do it! " Beth yelled, placing a wet cloth to my head while someone walked in.

In came a woman with her hair tightly into a slick bun and a sheriff outfit on. The other was a man who looked like a doctor with glasses on and a clipboard in hand. Beth glared to both while I pretended to look sick, but I took note of Beth's attitude. She didn't like these people.