Chapter Thirty Eight: After

┏━━━━━━ Kayla's Pov ━━━━━━┓

My fist curled with every step I took down the road. We lost everything in a matter of minutes. Governor took everything away for a fucking prison that he burned to the ground anyway. I ignored the cuts on my knees and kept moving forward, feeling the blood ooze out. Maybe if I kept moving forward, I would find everyone else? That was the only thing on my mind. I had to find the group and, most importantly, Daryl.

" Kayla. Carl, slow down." Dad ordered, but I didn't listen." Kayla, stop !" He yelled, but I kept moving forward, not wanting to stop.

My fist just curled more as the stringing in my knuckles intensified. I heard walking again and knew Carl might have kept walking with me or didn't allow Dad to talk for long. We got to a bar seeing it looked empty from the outside. I walked over, checking the windows to see no walkers inside so far.

Dad came limping over and got his gun out." Wait outside, okay? Keep watch."

" You keep watch." Carl snapped." You can barely stand. I'm not gonna let you go in there alone."

" Excuse me ?" Dad asked, and I rolled my eyes.

" We done this before. Remember the hundreds of houses we had to find." I snapped and passed them both going inside.

" Kayla, aim your gun high," Dad said, but I didn't listen and walked into a room. I heard a snarled and turned to see a 6'0 walker just over some chairs and table stacked up to block." That might be all that's left." Dad said, pointing to the pickles right over the counter.

I aimed my gun up looking to the walker." I can get it from here."

" No, it's weak." Dad warned, lowering my gun and finding a small ax on the group." I'll drawl it out."

Carl and I glanced at each other, knowing that out of all people, Dad should not be the one to kill the walker. We looked back, watching Dad pull a chair out to clear the row and have the walker come charging over. Dad drove the ax into its head, but it wasn't enough to kill. The walker kept growling up at him, and I could see the struggle in my father's face, so I held my gun up, aiming to the walker.

" Don't !" Dad yelled, but I pulled the trigger watching the walker fall to the floor." I said, not to !"

" You couldn't do it with the ax! " I yelled back.

" I had it. " Dad said, struggling to even stand up. It was clear he wasn't." Every bullet counts. What if you needed that one later? See what you can find, and we can keep moving." Dad said, handing us bags.

I snatched it out of his hand and turned, walking around the bar area looking for alcohol. I looked over, finding a whiskey bottle and placed it in the bag, knowing it would help clean our wounds. I almost walked away when I saw an E&J bottle next to it. I slowly grabbed it in my hand and saw it was green apple flavor.

It brought back so many memories that I couldn't even explain, but the one that stuck out most to me was being in the bar with Dad, Glenn, and Hershel. I remembered having the same bottle and pouring myself a drink repeatedly over the death of Sophia.

Those were much simpler times. The majority of the people from that time were dead now. Hershel being the most. I sniffed, holding the bottle close to me and remembering Hershel's death. The poor old man did not deserve that kind of death.

He did not deserve to be cut at the throat. He was too pure for this world. I opened my eyes and placed the bottle in my bag before going back into the room to see Dad and Carl about to leave. We walked further down the road in nothing but silence. I felt something cold on my side and pulled my shirt up a little to see I got stabbed in my shoulder.