Chapter Fifty Two: Forget

┏━━━━━━ Kayla's pov ━━━━━━┓

Okay, maybe it was my fault I was glued to the toilet. Perhaps it wasn't smart for me to eat eleven packs of pudding last night. I threw everything I had into the toilet and held onto the side of the cold steel hating every moment of it. Once I was done, I flushed the toilet and grabbed my toothbrush, ready to brush my teeth.

Another day in this world meant another day toward trouble. I could feel it. Nothing good ever happened in this group—a least not for a while. I finished brushing my teeth and stared at myself in the mirror. Today marked fourteen weeks.

It was tough to believe. Carefully I placed my hand over my baby bump, knowing my child was growing inside. A wave of sadness washed over with it knowing these moments should be with it's father.

" Please, Daryl," I whispered, putting an oversize sweatshirt and left the bathroom. I ran into Mom in the kitchen, seeing she was staring out the window a bit scared." Mom ?"

She turned around and smiled." Hey."

" You okay ?"

" Just worried. Your father, Daryl, and Carol went out to talk. I'm worried about him. Didn't Daryl tell you ?" Mom questioned, making me stop grabbing a water bottle.

" Must have forgotten." I lied and opened the water bottle.

" Since you're up. Deanna wants you in her office. Please be careful. Don't talk to anyone you don't know."

" Mom, are you sure you're okay ?" I laughed, feeling like a little kid needing to cross the street." You're treating me like I'm five."

" Just please." She said while I smiled and walked out of the house.

I headed straight for Deanna's home, seeing how friendly the people were. Maybe a bit too friendly. I knocked on the door seeing Deanna was the first to open.

" Kayla, I was just waiting for you. Your father here too." Deanna said, letting her inside. I looked at Dad first and nodded, seeing Maggie and Michonne were in here too.

" Where's Daryl and Carol ?"

" Daryl went out in the woods. Said he had to clear his mind on something." Dad said, making me nod, knowing what it was." Carol's doing her job."

" Speaking of jobs, I found the perfect one for you. Teacher." Deanna said, making me look at her if she was serious.

" What ?"

" I saw the way you kept eyes on your brother and sister. You have a connection with kids. Now we don't have toddlers, but we do have ages 4-15. I want you to teach the little ones. 4-8."

" That's no problem."

" Now for Rick, Jennifer, and Michonne, you protect and serve. Rick, if you can, tell this to Jennifer when she's feeling better." Deanna said, and I frowned, wondering what was wrong with Mom." You protocol, walk the wall, watch out for the kids. If there's a conflict, you solve it, and people will listen to you."

" Because we're wearing windbreakers ?" Michonne said, making everyone look to her.

" Because they believe in this. Because I'm telling them to. A police officer used to live here. So we had these jackets, and I wanted to make it official. So it's official. There's going to be a government here one day. That's why I want Maggie and Jennifer working with me. There's going to be the police force. That's why I want you two to start it. I See a vibrant community here with industry, commerce, civilization. Real lives. It might be horses and mills, but what? Does that sound like pie in the sky ?"