Long Time, No See (S.R.)

It's been a year. A year since Sarah or I have seen Steve. That last thing he told me was he would be gone, he wasn't sure for how long, but it was important. He insisted Sarah and I don't go "for our own protection". I listened, not for myself, but for my daughter. Then he kissed Sarah on the head, kissed me, and left.

I've never once thought about dating someone else, because I still have some faith, some little spark of hope telling me he will come home. The hardest part of this all is seeing Sarah. Every night when I tuck in our little five year old rascal, she asks me, "Mommy, when's Daddy gonna be back?" It hurts. Every. Time. My only response is, "Soon sweetie." But after saying that at least 300 times, I'm pretty sure she got sick of it.

We've also had no way to communicate to him. Or Nat. Or Sam. They have been M.I.A. and no once can trace telephones, mail, credit cards, or anything else from them.

The worst part is, I've had no one. Both my parents died. Steve's parents are obviously dead. I only have a sister who takes nights off to care for Sarah, while I have night shifts at the office to make extra. Because I don't have access to Steve's accounts.

Am I pissed? Yeah at least a little. Actually a pretty decent amount. But this is his job, and the moment I said, "Yes" the moment I said "I do" The moment we decided we wanted children (or a child for now), I knew that his job was his number one responsibility. And as much as I hated that, my love for him overpowered the hate towards his job.

I've also appreciate Tony not even checkin in. Once. At all. In the last fucking year. So yeah. This has been hard.

It was a Wednesday morning. A gloomy, rainy, Wednesday morning. I had dropped off Sarah at kindergarten, and was at our Brooklyn apartment doing some work from home to make a few extra bucks to pay for the bills, food, etc. considering we had barely any money left to spend after necessities. I heard a knock at the door, so I sat up form my laptop on the countertop on the kitchen and walked to the kitchen. I was in my usual jeans, and white t shirt, with my hair up in a loose ponytail. I turned the knob and opened the door, to notice a tall, musical figure. He had semi-long layered hair and a beard. I looked up at their eyes. They were his eyes. "Steve?" I asked, my mouth dropping. I stopped thinking in total.

"Hi." He responded with a small smirk.

"Oh my God!" I said wrapping my arms around his neck and hugging him, he immediately reacting by squeezing me tight in his arms. For the first time in a while, I felt peace of mind. "I've missed you, so much." I admitted as tears slowly started sliding down my cheeks.

"I've missed you so much too." He said kissing the top of my head." Finally we ripped away from each other after a few minutes. I opened the door to let him in. "Exactly how I left it." He said and smiled as he looked in the living room. I smiled back.

"I try to stay consistent." I told him. He walked back towards me but this time kissed me. For moments and moments that felt like peaceful eternity.

"I've missed your lips." He told me.

"I've missed yours too." I said and slightly blushed. Finally we sat down. "I um- I- don't know what to say."

"It's been a while." He said looking down.

"It has." I responded.

"I'm so sorry Y/N. I just- I didn't want to have you or Sarah be involved in any of the drama we had. It could've turned fatal easily, in fact it injured most of us in more than one ways. I just- the last thing I want to do is hurt either of you." I nodded in response. I understood him. "And I don't know if you're still mad at me but if you are you have every right to be." He said grabbing both my hands in his. I took a long sigh.

"Steve I'm- I'm still a little mad yes. But I understand why you did it. I just can't help but to fall slightly upset that there was no way to contact you." I admitted. He nodded.

"It tore me apart too. I couldn't stop thinking about you too, I just, I- I couldn't take the chance at you getting hurt. I could never forgive myself for that. Ever." He told me. Our eyes stayed connected. I nodded again.

"I just- I have something to show you." I remembered. I ran into our closet and found a box I'd been keeping. It was at least ten pounds now. I walked back out with it and put it on the couch in between us. "I'm- I'm not showing you these to make you feel bad or guilty in any way about you having to go. Because I understand why you did. But these- Sarah wrote you letters. All the time. And she wanted me to mail them to you. But since I didn't know where you were or where to send them to, I kept them. All in envelopes, in this box. I said handing it to him. He took it and opened the lid which revealed dozens of not hundreds of letters Sarah wrote to him. He stared in shock.

"She- she wrote all these? For me?"

"Yeah." I said and smiled, "She really is a daddy's girl." I could see his face start to instantly tear up. "I just- I don't really want to see what's in them because she specifically told me they were to you and I 'wasn't allowed to see them' so I'm going to give you some time if you want to." I said and place a hand on his arm. I then got up and excused myself to the bedroom where I ended up finishing my work. About an hour later I walked back out into the living room, to see Steve had gone through at least 30 letters and was crying. I walked over and squeezed him.

"She's just like my mom." He said and smiled, "she sees the best in people." I simply smiled back and nodded.

"She'll be home from school soon." I told him and put my chin on his shoulder as he looked back at me and smiled. "She's going to be so excited."

"I've missed her so much." He admitted

"She's missed you so much too." I told him. It was the truth. She was a daddy's girl and they were two peas in a pod, and were practically inseparable.

After another few hours of catching up, I went to pick Sarah up. Steve stayed back to settle in, even though he did tell me he had to leave in a few weeks to defeat this weird space dude.

When I got back I told Sarah there was a surprise at home. She obviously got excited and once I opened up the door she burst through the door to see Steve on the couch. "DADDY!" She practically screeched as he got up, picked her up, and swung her around a couple times.

"Hey princess!" He said, I could start to see tears forming in his eyes. "You've grown so big!" He said starting to tickle her stomach causing her to giggle.

"I missed you Daddy!" She said and hugged him around his neck.

"Daddy missed you too princess." He said and hugged her back. I just stood admiring the relationship the two had. Finally after some playing, homework help, dinner, and eventually ice cream, Sarah was fast asleep in bed. And it was Steve and my turns. After showering we climbed in bed, and immediately Steve grabbed me and pulled me towards him. We stayed there all night. Just like the good old days.
.
After weeks of Steve being back he finally had to leave again for Wakanda. "I'll be back. I promise." He told us both. "Just please, don't leave the house for the next couple days." He told us. I nodded. After fighting with him about it I agreed to stay in the house with Sarah in case something terrible happened. He left (breaking Sarah's heart) but we knew he would be alright.
.
2 days later. The news was reporting about terrible fights happening not only on earth but apparently out in parts of space I'd never heard of. Thankfully Sarah's school was cancelled so I stayed at home with her all day and we drew, played, did the usual five year old things. Then it happened.

I remember feeling light headed. Things were getting slightly dizzy. I remember Sarah saying, "Mommy?" And giving me a concerned look. "Are you okay Mommy?" She asked.

"Mhm." I assured her. But then I remember spinning.

"Mommy!" She screamed as I fell over.

"I love you and daddy, baby." I told her as she was by my side. I quickly kissed her and brushed her cheek before going black.