Lasagna (S.R.)

It was Steve's birthday (also known as the Fourth of July). We had been dating for almost a year, and I was eager to make sure this was his best birthday yet. Even if that meant putting in lots of time and effort.

I had begun preparing that morning. Bucky had promised me to keep Steve occupied all-day. I woke up early to make some pancakes for Steve, I knew they were his absolute favorite for breakfast.

As I was flipping some of them and listening to the radio I felt Steve's arm hug me from behind. "Happy birthday." I smiled as he placed his chin on my head.

"Thank you," He leaned down to give me a kiss, "This is a great surprise."

"It won't be the only one." I smiled as he moved next to me.

"Oh really?" He asked and raised an eyebrow.

"Oh really," I smirked and continued my work on breakfast.

"Is this coffee for me?" He asked and picked up his mug with the hot drink in it. I nodded.

"I brewed the super-soldier coffee Tony made you." He smiled and took a sip.

"You're the best," he gave me a quick kiss on the head.

We served breakfast and like always, sat at the table and ate, discussing whatever came up. Then we heard the door fly open and close. "Hello, Punk!" Bucky walked into the room, "And doll." He said and smiled at me. Steve rolled his eyes.

"What do you want, Buck?"

"Pancakes," he grabbed a plate and took a seat next to me, "And next we have a full day ahead of us." Steve gave a confused look, "You, me and Sam."

"But what about Y/N-" He began.

"I'll be fine," I insisted. He looked even more concerned.

"Are you sure doll? We could always-"

"Stevie don't worry." I said and placed my hand on his, "I have stuff to do anyways."

"Alright," He sighed. The three of us wrapped up conversation as I began on the dishes. "Are you sure you don't need help, I feel kinda bad-"

"Steve it's your birthday. Go off and have fun with your best friends." He lightly smiled and was immediatly drug out by Bucky. "Love you!" I waved off.

"Love you too." He smiled. Bucky was right behind him and turned around to give me a wink, aware of the time I needed to prepare. I winked back.

The big surprise was not as big as the typical big surprise. Steve had raved about his mother's lasagna since I first met him. He hadn't had it in over 75 years and said it always made him feel at home. It was his favorite food in fact.

So after lots of archives through his countless boxes of his, I finally found his mother's recipe book. And this would be made completely from scratch, and perfectly.

I started out with the pasta dough. I had made it before, and her recipe was pretty standard. After about an hour of making the dough, I made it into lasagna sheets and put it in the fridge as I began the sauce.

The sauce was a whole other process. It required baking, simmering, and keeping on low temperatures for hours until done perfectly. So I did just that. To keep me in the cooking mood, I turned on Food Network and tuned out for 25 minutes, shortly after to go right back to monitoring the sauce, then repeating.

Soon enough I was laying out the pasta sheets and placing the sauce in as well. I ended up keeping a little bit of the sauce in the microwave to keep it partially warm so when Bucky came back, he could try it to tell me how it was before Steve got it.

I tried some myself, and I have to say it was delicious. Not trying to boost my cooking skills or anything, because this was his mother's recipe, but so far I don't blame him.

Eventually, once the I let the lasagna set in the oven on low for a while, Bucky finally came back. "How much time do we have?" I asked him.

"Sam's keeping him occupied for another 45 minutes." He smiled, I smiled back.

"Thank you so much, Bucky!" He leaned against the counter and smiled even larger.

"It's no problem," He looked at me, "You make my best friend happy, the least I could do is help you."

"That was sweet," I said and got the sauce out of the microwave. "Please try," I asked him.

"You didn't make this in the microwave did you?"

"No no no," I began, "I've been making this for the last 5 hours."

"So the real way," He smirked. He took a bite and his face immediatly dropped.

"Is it bad? Oh no it's bad isn't it-"

"I haven't tasted this since I was 18, and it tastes exactly like Mrs. Roger's." He began lightly laughing, "It's delicious. Like spot-on delicious. He'll love it."

"Really Buck?" I asked.

"Really." He smiled and ate the rest of the leftover sauce. "It's actually perfect."

"Thank goodness," I sighed, "It needs about another 40 minutes so hopefully by the time it's done it'll be cool enough to eat.

"Steve may actually start crying," He put the sauce bowl in the dishwasher, "It's so good I can't get over it." I smiled brighter than I had in a while, just from the thought of succeeding for Steve. Bucky said goodbye and was back out to meet with Sam and Steve.

"Hey doll," Steve came in the door and slipped off his shoes, coming to the kitchen. "It smells really good." He added on, walking into the room with his hands in his pocket. "You made lasagna?" He asked and I smiled, nodding, "My favorite." He smiled. He looked around and saw his mother's recipe book on the island. "Wait-" he began, "Did you make-"

"Your mom's lasagna yeah," I smiled again, "I thought it would be nice since you always talk about how much you miss it."

"Oh doll," He smiled and smirked, "This may be the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me." I smiled.

"It is your birthday." He came up to me and gave me a long kiss, placing his hands lightly on the small of my back. "I love you," I said once we released.

"I love you too." We served up some lasagna and sat down. I was watching Steve's face as he took the first bite. I took mine too but was too occupied by waiting for his reaction. He looked down the lasagna then back at me. "It tastes just like hers." He smiled.

"Really?" I asked. I mean, yes, I had gotten a second opinion from Bucky but I still wanted to be sure he wasn't being nice and secretly hated it. He shoved another piece in his mouth.

"It tastes exactly like hers." He sat back, "Exactly." I smiled and took a bite of mine.

"I'm glad it's good."

"Thank you," He sighed and smiled, "This is the most thoughtful thing anyone has ever done for me." I lightly smiled as he got up to get another piece.

Once we finished dinner, we saved the rest for leftovers and headed out. Tony had gotten some big ass cake, and we all planned to watch fireworks on the large top floor balcony of Avengers Tower.

We laid on a blanket together, his arm around me as I snuggled into his side. "This was the best birthday ever." He smiled and gave me a kiss. "I wouldn't want it any other way."