Sacrifice (Pt. 2) (S.R.)

The last few months had been a struggle, to say the least. I was initially in a wheelchair, however, Tony got me the same technology Rodey got when his legs became paralyzed.

But the extensions didn't fix everything, of course. It took a lot of physical work between me and Steve for my body to actually accumulate to the fact that my legs weren't really functioning at all.

We spent day after day, hour after hour just getting me to practice walking. In about two weeks I went from having Steve completely hold me while I tried, to at least getting a little weight off. That of course came with the cost of falling every other minute.

Today was extremely frustrating. I was so frustrated with my body, I really wanted to punch myself. Nothing was working like it was supposed to, nothing was functioning how I wanted it to.

I thought about it every night when Steve and I were in bed together. About the countless hours, I had endured when nothing worked, and Steve had to too. He had to be there to assist me still, to help me get into the bath or shower, to make food, to help me even sit down or go to the bathroom. And that frustrated me most.

Steve had now sacrificed his entire life to help me. And I hated it so much. Because I wanted to be my own person, but physically I needed so much help that the idea of freedom was washed away.

So I fell for the thousandth time today. I rolled myself over as Steve kneeled down next to me again, in the middle of our living room floor, and attempted to help me back up. I was facing the ceiling, as I began crying. Just sobbing and laid on the cold hardwood floor. "Doll?" Steve sighed and sat next to me, grabbing my hand, and giving it a small kiss. "What's wrong?"

"What's wrong Steve?" I scoffed, "Really? I don't know, maybe it's that I can't fucking walk anymore! And you have to babysit me and I feel so trapped. My mind is telling me what to do, but my body won't." He listened intently, "I'm so done with this all."

"It's okay doll." He laid next to me. "Just keep trying, alright?"

"It's harder than that Steve," I was so frustrated, "Because I can't. I literally can't."

"Yes you can," He sat up, "You can. I know you can, and we're not giving up until you use your own two legs and walk." I rubbed my eyes with my eyes and sighed. He got up and held out his hand, which I grabbed as he lifted me up. "You got this doll. You can do it."

So we practiced for the rest of the day before dinner, cleaning up, and going to bed. I laid awake almost all night thinking about it. Steve was up for a bit before falling asleep.

I couldn't stop thinking about how absolutely helpless I was. It was pathetic almost. I would ideally get up and grab some water, maybe a book if I couldn't sleep. But I physically cannot do that. So I began to lightly sob, hoping to not wake up Steve. However, that of course happened.

"Y/N?" Steve mumbled and rolled over so he was facing me. "Can you look at me?" I shooked my head. So he swung his arm around me and pulled me into his chest, kissing the top of my head. "Tell me what's wrong."

"I can't sleep and I would go and do something but I can't." He sighed.

"Can I do anything?" I shook my head. "Just try to go to sleep okay?" I could tell he was up and wasn't really going back to sleep anytime soon, making me feel even worst.

"I'm just a burden." I sighed and tried to move out of his embrace, which of course didn't work.

"No, you're not." He sat up slightly, "And don't you ever tell yourself that or believe that, okay? You're anything but a burden. You made a sacrifice on the battlefield that day. One for me, one for the world. And this is the smallest thing I can do to repay you." I cuddled further into his chest as he wrapped his arm around me tighter. "I love you."

"I love you too." I lightly smiled. Steve always managed to make me feel better in moments using his words alone.

-Time skip-

Finally, after months of working on it, I was able to walk. We were working on a slight limp I had in my left leg still, but Tony was working on more technology to accommodate for that. Of course, I would occasionally fall still.

Steve and I went on daily walks now, around the compound. Tony had gardeners set up a nice area like a park, so we had some scenery, which I appreciate greatly once again. "It's really gorgeous out here in spring," I said as Steve and I walked around the garden area.

"It is." He lightly smiled and looked around too.

"Hey, Steve?" I asked and he turned his head to look at me as we continued our path, "What if we get a dog?" He looked confused for a minute, "Like the things with fur that walk on four legs and-"

"I know what a dog is," he lightly chuckled, "But this is the first time you've brought it up."

"I don't know I like dogs, I think you like dogs." he nodded, "And we could walk him, and cuddle with him, and pet him, and love him." I smiled. Steve smiled too.

"We can look into it, but only if he gives you more of an incentive to walk."

"Fine," I said, "Then we'll walk him every day at least twice a day."

"Deal." Steve smiled.