Willing Fugitive (Pt.3)

I jolted up feeling hot and sticky. Damn it, I thought, another night terror. Steve was up within seconds of my awakening, next to me to comfort me. "Do you need me to get Sam?" he asked as we were both now sitting on the edge of the motel bed. I shook my head.

"I- I'll be fine." I insisted.

"Are you sure?" he asked again. I nodded. I had been seeing Sam privately every other day for sessions to help to cope with my PTSD. Since they've started, I can honestly say I've had more human interaction and I've been able to actually sleep with Steve for the past month-ish after nearly three months of a bare bed.

I genuinely felt bad for Steve. I knew all he wanted was to have me next to him at night, but my body and mind couldn't. Until Sam taught me some tips and tricks. After a few moments of Steve rubbing my back and telling me everything was okay, we went back to bed. He engulfed me in one of those ginormous bear hugs and we both drifted off to sleep again.

The next morning we woke up at our typical 7 am to go drive to the next town (which where we were was at least 5 hours) to find another hotel and usually find something to do. Being on the run was not ideal in any scenario, but we had to do it. Steve and I hopped in now his very old truck (we ended up taking out about 20 grand before we left) which we bought at an old car dealer. Sam and Nat got into the smaller car they got there and we were on our way.

Steve had begun growing out a new beard, and not going to lie, it was pretty hot. He had also chosen to grow out his hair which had turned to more of a light brunette color versus the typical blonde he was. I honestly preferred his look, although I know he was struggling to cope with it.

Nat had cut and bleached her hair, Sam had grown out a small beard, and I had chosen to cut my hair to a lob and dye it red. Red not ginger. I had kept my brown roots and it added a nice ombre. It took Steve a few weeks to get used to it, but since he's been complimenting me non stop.

"Your beard looks adorable, by the way." I told him under my sunglasses. He had his on too. He smiled. 

"Thanks." He chuckled. "So," He began, "What do you want for your birthday." Oh yeah, my birthday's in two weeks.

"Um-" I began, "I couldn't care less." I answered honestly and lightly chuckled. He sighed and smiled.

"Well, you're getting something no matter what." I huffed.

"Fine, then I'll have-" I began dragging on, "You're unconditional love and affection?"

He chuckled, "I give that to you 24/7. Something else." I sighed again.

"I really don't know."

"You're killing me smalls." He told me.

"High-five on the pop culture reference." I told him and lifted my hand up as he slapped it.

"I'll figure something out."

"Steve, you really don't have to get me anything." I said and grabbed his hand squeezing it, "I really don't need anything."

"Well I'm your boyfriend, so you're getting something whether you like it or not."

.

Since the two weeks had passed, I was woken up by Steve whos weight tended to limp the bed one way or the other. "Happy birthday darling." He woke me up and told me, leaning in for a long kiss.

"Thanks honey." I told him and glided my hand over his beard. After getting up, showering, and moving out again and into his truck we were on the road, again.

We drove for miles and miles until we hit the next small town and stayed at the motel there. While there, he handed me a card. "Happy birthday doll." he said and smiled. I smiled back before opening it. It was a sweet card with a dog on the front, and he wrote the sweetest note inside.

Dear Y/N,
       We've been through heaven and hell together, but you've taken the bigger hit out of the both of us. You sacrificed everything for Bucky and me, and I don't think I could ask for anymore. You put yourself through hell without me, I don't think I can ever forgive myself for that. You are the most compassionate and selfless human being I've ever met. I still ask myself every day how I ever ended up with a woman like you. You mean the world to me, I would sacrifice everything and anything I own for you, and yet I would still owe you for the debts I must repay to you. You truly are my everything. So this is the least I could do for you, to at least provide you a few days of peace.
        Love,
            Steve

I could feel tears begin to produce in my eyes as I slipped a piece of paper out of an envelope. There it laid a reservation to a beautiful cottage in upper Michigan for the week of Christmas. I grew up in the midwest so I'm assuming that's where he got the idea. I was in complete shock.

"Babe," I said and looked up at him, he was smiling. "You did this? For me?" He nodded his head. "Oh my goodness!" I said jumping up and onto him. He stumbled a bit before standing up straight and catching me. "Thank you thank you thank you!" I squealed.

"You deserve it." he said and smiled, kissing me passionately on the lips. I ran my fingers through his growing hair which was cute and shaggy.

"How did I end up with the best boyfriend ever?" he lightly blushed. He set me on the bed and we began kissing, which turned to making out which turned into other things. He stopped before things had gotten too far.

"A-are you sure you want to do this?" he asked. It had been months since we had, well, done it. I nodded.

"Yes, I'm sure." He smiled and we continued.

.

The next morning I woke up next to Steve, both extremely tired from the activities last night. Steve and I both woke up around the same time, "You're so gorgeous." I heard Steve say in his raspy morning voice. I giggled at his comment.

"Well, you're very handsome." I responded and turned to him before we kissed. He groaned.

"C'mon Love, we've gotta get up we have a full day ahead of us." I moaned in response.

"I don't wanna get up." I said and pushed my head into the pillow.

"Neither do I, but to bad. If I've got to then you do too." He said getting up and smiling at my grumpiness.