Coming Back (S.R.)

It was the day Steve was going to leave. The day you secretly knew your life would crumble to pieces. Your feelings were hurt, your mind unstable, and your heart was broken.

He had disclosed to your his plans earlier on. After the great defeat of Thanos, after the loss of Nat and Tony, and after everything seemed fine for once, he said he wanted to go back to Peggy and stay with her. Permanently.

How could your boyfriend of 4 years do this to you? You didn't have a clue. You understood how much he loved and adored Peggy, how critical to his life she was. Yet you were here too. You were the agent who helped him jump back into the real world at SHIElD, you were his best friend, and soon you became his lover.

But he seemingly threw that all away for a woman he spent no more than 48 hours with. You tried to persist and stay strong, but it seemed every moment no one was there you broke down. 

The night before you couldn't even get a glimpse of sleep. You just wanted everything to be normal. You savored his intoxifying scent, and the sound of his heart as your head lay on his chest, his arm heavily draped around you. All you wanted was this.

But here you are. Standing beside Bucky, Sam only a few feet down, with Bruce Banner/Hulk getting ready to send Steve back. Steve was in his suit on the platform (which by the way you thought he looked smokin' in), as you conversed through one last look and light smile.

"Ready Cap?" bruce asked. He nodded. "We'll meet you back here, okay?" One nod.

"You bet." he responded with.

"Going quantum, 3, 2, 1." Then he was gone. You immediatly looked at Buck who looked at your and your head sunken into his shoulder as you felt hot tears coming out of your eyes. Bruce counted down from 5 and pressed the button, and Steve reappeared.

But wait...

He wasn't supposed to come back, was he? No, he wasn't. You went over the plan and everything. You weren't quite yet to accept the plan, but you forced yourself to.

"Steve?" you managed to say, fresh tears still falling.

"Y/N." He responded and walked towards me imbracing me in a hug.

"Why didn't you stay?" I asked, still flustered by what happened.

"I did," he started, "for a year. But then I realized that I didn't love her. I knew her for only a few hours. But you're the one Y/N."