Soulmates (C.E.)

It was my mom's birthday this weekend, so I decided to go back to the good old Sudbury, Massachusetts. My hometown and where my parents still resided.

I really dreaded Sudbury. Most people who live there don't. But there was just something about the place, the memories probably. Every foot I took in that town reminded me of him.

I walked into my parent's brick colonel and set my bag down, immediatly to be greeted with hugs and kisses by both my mom and dad. Of course, Dad helped me up to my childhood room with my bags.

It hadn't changed much. It was still the yellow he and I painted it in high school. I flopped on my bed to think for a few moments, before being called downstairs to help with dinner.

"So how's life in New York?" My dad prompted the conversation at dinner.

"The same old same old," I admitted.

"Have you found a new man?" My mom chimed up. I sighed.

"Nope," I admitted and took a bite of my food, "Granted a man is not my number one priority."

"I still wish you and Chris were together." I stopped and stared at my steak for a moment. "Is something wrong?" My mom asked. Yes, of course, there is.

"No, nothing." I lightly smiled.

"Speaking of, the Evans are coming over tomorrow for your mother's birthday." My dad said excitedly.

"That's great." I smiled as big I could. After some more small talk, I helped my mom clean up before residing in my room to do some more work I had to finish up.

I sighed, not being able to focus on anything but him. The remote thought of him made me frustrated, mad, angry. At myself.

I really let myself fall in love with him. We were in high school, but the moment he got his opportunity in New York to pursue his dream in acting he left me in the dust.

I had always wanted him to pursue his acting, but the least he could've done stayed in touch with me. I went to college in New York, but he didn't reach out to me. Once.

After that, I still went and saw every movie he released, on opening night. It's not like he cared, but I did. He was my first love, and he left me.

Since, he's dated countless models, actresses, you name it. I'm no more than a film writer, but our paths never seemed to cross. Not that film writers get much credit, even though they control the entire story.

-Time skip-

The doorbell rang, my dad, going to retrieve it. I was once again helping my mom set some stuff for her birthday. "Hey, guys!" My dad happily greeted me as he always did. I heard multiple greetings back.

"Y/N!" I could hear Lisa exclaim.

"Hi, Mrs. Evans." I smiled as she engulfed me in a hug, I hugged her back.

"You look as gorgeous as ever dear, haven't aged a bit!" She said and caressed my cheek with her hand.

"I could say the same for you." I smiled and she laughed. Of course, I greeted Shanna, Carly, and Scott. Then came in him.

"Y/N," He smiled.

"Chris," I smiled back as he gave me a quick hug. I could see him eye me up and down, but I had to prevent myself from doing the same to him. It wasn't worth it.

"So, uh, how've ya been?" He asked.

"Pretty good, you?" I responded.

"Good, good." he sighed.

"Y/N," My mom called me and saved me from the awkward situation. "Could you help me for a moment."

"Of course," I lightly smiled and walked over to assist my mother.

"I could tell." She whispered and I rolled my eyes. Of course, she could.

We were having some conversation later, all of us in the family room with a few other of my parent's friends. Chris and I were eyeing each other every few minutes, the tension was high. I could tell we were both hoping no one else felt it.

After a little while, I couldn't handle it. "I'm gonna get some fresh air," I whispered to my mom.

She responded a little too loudly, "You alright?" I nodded and began to go the back porch. I took a deep breath and leaned against the wall, collecting my thoughts when I heard the sliding door open and looked over. Of course, it was him.

"Hey." He said.

"Hey." I sighed. He awkwardly stuck his hands in his jean pockets.

"You look great by the way." He lightly smiled.

"Thanks, so do you." I lightly smiled back.

"I um-" he began, "This is way too late. But I just wanted to tell you I'm sorry." I wanted to roll my eyes, instead I just very lightly sighed. "I was really a shitty person." I didn't respond. "I just wanted to tell you in person." This time I scoffed. "What?" he asked.

"This is the first time we've spoken in what, over a decade? Jeez, Christopher. My phone number has never changed, I'm pretty sure Scott's reminded you of that. I sent you fucking Christmas cards every year and a card on your birthday. And I couldn't get a damn call out of you?"

"Look I'm sorry I know I fucked up-"

"Yeah, yeah you did." I interrupted, "I get so anxious when I'm even near you, it almost physically hurts. You left me when I was most vulnerable, and I somehow have a feeling you knew that. Look, I'm really happy for you. You've pursued all your dreams and you're damn good at acting that's for sure. But we were best friends for over a decade, and dated for a while two years in high school." He sighed, still unsure about what to say.

"I know, and I really regret every minute I didn't stay in contact with you, it was a stupid and juvenile mistake."

"But you had time to make up for that."

"I know. And I was a dumb ass who passed up those opportunities. But I'm here to tell you now, that I miss you so damn much every day. Whether it be as friends or as-" he began stuttering.

"As what?" I asked and turned towards him.

"Damn it I'm still in love with you." My eyes went wide. "I have been since the day I left you. I just need you to trust me on this, because I know it sounds crazy."

"You've had models and actresses for girlfriends in that time-"

"And none of them worked out." He said, "Because I'm still a firm believer we're soulmates." He pointed between us. I sighed.

"We can try," I mumbled.

"What?" He asked.

"We can try. Rebuild this relationship. But you have to understand you need to restore the trust I had in you."

"Okay." he sighed. "I'm willing to do that if that means we get another shot."

"Deal."