Rescue (B.B.)

"It's the Avengers!" Someone shouted as the alarms within the HYDRA facility began blaring, red flashing on every wall and in every corner. I couldn't help but let a slight smirk run up my face, but that was soon diminished by the likelihood that what I had in mind wouldn't happen.

Guards were frantically running, I was still trapped in my cell of course. Thankfully, however, I had managed to spare some time in my lab without anyone else to make a mimic key. I gracefully reached my slender arm through the cool metal bars and maneuver my tool into the lock, pushing it gently to the left and unlocking it.

I burst out and began running towards the nearest exit, trying to dodge as many guards as I could. Most of them were still armed, unlike me. I heard some screams and laser-like shots being made. Iron Man, I thought, this is real.

I ran to another corner where I turned around and there he was. The metal man decked out in red and gold. He held his hand up to me as it reignited. I held my hands up to cover my face, aware that regardless of where his power hit me I would be dead. 

"Stop!" I heard his voice, "Don't touch her!" He growled.

"What?" Stark looked behind him. I looked up and there he was. The love of my life.

"Doll," He ran over to me, kneeling next to me and placing his hand on my cheek, "Are you alright?"

"James," I sighed, "You're back." I smiled and felt some tears come on.

"Yeah I know," He smiled too, "I would never leave you here." He gave me a needed, long kiss, "Now c'mon, I'll take you to the jet."

"What the hell just happened?" Stark asked and watch the two of us get up, "Who is she? How can we trust her?" Bucky looked behind him and at Stark.

"This woman saved me. You can trust her with anything." Then Bucky rushed me into the Quinjet. We were greeted by a thin woman with red hair in a skin-tight suit. Black Widow. "I think she had a sprained ankle," Bucky said and helped me onto a table in the jet, "Could you help her while we finish up?"

"Yeah," She nodded, "Of course." She smiled at him then at me, "I'm Natasha."

"I'm Y/N," I said and lightly smiled, "It's nice to meet you."

"You as well," She began grabbing some ice, "Bucky's told us all about you and how heroic you were." She said.

"I don't know if I would consider myself heroic," I sighed, "Nothing like you guys for sure. But I appreciate it."

"You put up with HYDRA for years against your will," She said, "And they didn't brainwash you or anything. That takes a lot of bravery." I lightly nodded and smiled.

-5 years before-

"Give us the liquid now!" The man screamed at me. I was flinching away as my eyes began filling with tears. I had the small vile in my hand, glancing down at the floor. I glanced up and sae Bucky in his cell, this would forever wipe his brain. He wouldn't be able to understand anything again.

"No," I gritted through my teeth.

"What did you say to me?" The man got dangerously close.

"I said no!" I yelled and crashed the bottle on the floor so it shattered the liquid pouring everywhere. "That was the last of it," I said. Everyone was silent. Bucky looked up at me shocked, but with grateful eyes, I could tell.

"You're going to pay for that!" He slammed me into a wall. Bucky got up and held his hands to the cell.

"Make me," I said.

"Take her to the room." He snarled as I was dragged off by four guards.

"NO!" Bucky screamed, "NO!" He was going mad.

"And knock him out while we're at it."

They roped me down to the cool metal table and prepared who knows what for me. "What are you going to do to me." I asked through gritted teeth, "Brainwash me like everyone else?"

"No," The man darkly chuckled, "Why would we brainwash our best scientist? We're only going to hurt you, teach you a listen if you will." I could still hear Bucky screaming from down the hallway, it hurt.

I sucked in my breath as they prepared whatever they would do to me. I heard some sizzling and slightly looked over. Branding. "Ready," He darkly chuckled. I stopped breathing as the pushed the sizzling metal into my side.

-Present-day-

I was now sitting on one of the benches, my ankle wrapped up as everyone started loading in. It initially felt pretty awkward, but as soon as Bucky came in I felt alright. He lightly smiled and sat down next to me. Then Captain America came up to us.

"Steve Rogers," He said and lightly smiled, holding his hand out, "It's a pleasure."

"Y/N Y/L/N," You shook his hand, "The pleasure's all mine." It was pretty awkward, to be honest.

I'm Bucky's lost love who saved him from HYDRA, snuck back mementos for him so he could remember his past while we were locked up together, and now I'm here with the Avengers. Everyone seemed welcoming but in almost a cautious way.

"So you were the scientist who invented the infamous brain wipe juice," Stark came up to me and asked. I nodded.

"That was me," I lightly smiled.

"So I'm assuming when you join the team you'll work with Banner and I right?" I was taken aback for a moment.

"I'm joining the team?" I lightly asked.

"Of course," He stated matter-of-factly, "We could always use your brains for the lack of them we have." He looked at everyone else who rolled their eyes.

"So I'm an Avenger now?" I looked over at Bucky who smiled and leaned into the wall.

"You're an Avenger now," he smirked.