Sunshine (S.R.)

"Is he gonna be home for graduation?" Melanie asked me.

"I don't know Mel," I answered honestly.

"Mom it's been 2 years." Frustration slipped out.

"Sweetie it's his job-"

"I don't care if it's his job mom! I'm his daughter for gosh sakes!" Tears began coming down, "He wasn't here to help me prepare for my first date, he wasn't here to help me prepare for SATs and ACTs, he wasn't here when I got accepted to Cornell. Now he most likely won't be here for prom or graduation."

"I know but just try to think of all the good times with him." I tried to cheer her up.

"It's pretty hard to think of those when those are the moments that don't matter Mom." She spat before storming up to her room.

It wasn't worth fighting. She was the most upset out of the three of us. Tyler being the least.

I eventually made the way up to my room and began more work. Two jobs meant double the work and double the time.

Sometimes I just wanted to cry, let it all out. I didn't want to in of our kids of course. They didn't need to see their mother like that.

I sunk under my covers at 2 in the morning and prepared for another typical morning.

.

I walked back in the house at 2 pm to drop off my work stuff and get ready to pick up the kids. I unlocked the door and wandered into the kitchen to drop my bag and go. I looked up and was taken aback by the sight I saw. "Hi doll."

"Steve?" I asked lightly. He walked up to me and hugged me, I did the same back.

"I missed you."

"I missed you too." I looked up at him, getting lost in those deep blue eyes, bringing back the comfort and trust that had been abandoned for so long. "Don't do that again." I mumbled as waterfalls were on the brink of bursting from my eyes.

"I promise, I won't." He said and grabbed me in a hug again. "How're the kids."

"Well," I glanced at the clock on the oven, "You can ask them soon."

.

The three of us walked in. I knew Steve was waiting in the living room. The two of them turned the corner and stopped when they saw him. He looked up at them before standing up. "Dad?" Ty asked.

"Hey bud." He said as the boy ran up and hugged him. He hugged him back. "You've gotten so big!" The two of them smiled. He then looked up at Melanie.

"Hi Mel." He said and smiled. She stood there in disbelief. She began slowly shaking her head.

"I'm not doing this again." She said and ran up to her room. He stood there in even greater shock.

"I- um," I began after a few moments of always silence, "I'm going to go check on her." I ran upstairs to her room to find her on her bed in fetile position crying. "Honey?" I asked and slowly walked in.

"I want to be alone." She told me. Instead I shut the door and sat on the foot of her bed. "Don't give me the "your fathers home you're being rude to him" shit I don't want to hear it."

"I won't." I sighed, "But I thought you missed him. You talked about him a lot."

"Well I was more pissed," She began, "He cant just walk through the front door after two years and expect everything to be back to normal Mom! He's missed everything in my life, in our families life." She sniffled.

"I know." I said and hugged her, "Could you at least talk to him though?" I asked. She pondered the question for a few moments.

"I will." She said and wiped away tears. "Just give me a few minutes." I nodded and left her in her room.

.

45 minutes later Melanie came downstairs. Steve and I looked up to see her. I lightly smiled while Steve had an empathetic look. He stood up to face her, I had already breached him about all her concerns.

"Look Mel I-" he began, but before he could finish she hugged him, and he hugged her back.

"I missed you dad." She admitted as tears began to fall again.

"I missed you too," He said and lightly smiled, holding her body close to his, "Sunshine." He finished and they both smiled. It was his nickname for her since she was practically born. "We have a lot to catch up on don't we?" He began and she pulled away, nodding but smiling.