Getting through it (S.R.)

Steve and you had seen a lot of death before. You were both Avengers and when you signed onto the job, it became your responsibility to be witness to it, whether you liked it or not.

But this, this was different. Neither of you had ever really been upset about anyone's death while on duty. The two of you were used to it. Of course when Peggy passed Steve was broken, but you helped him through it. You were his wife after all.

This time it hit much harder than anything before. You laid in bed staring at the ceiling. Eyes red and puffy, your entire face swollen. Steve was out arranging various things, but you knew he wasn't much better than you were. He was much better at acting, however.

It had been days since you lost the love of your life. Your daughter, Rosaline. She was a piece of you and Steve, she was the brightness in your crazy worlds.

Yet she was taken from the world at the tender and fragile age of 2. Still figuring out words and how to put them into sentences. Still in her imaginary world of puppies and rainbows.

A stroke struck her in the middle of the night. Of course you and Steve didn't know immediately. Until you heard a thumb on the ground. Neither of you heard crying but Steve decided to check on her. It was already too late.

"Y/N!" Steve called out, "Y/N!" You were already on your way down the hall from your room to hers.

"What?" You asked and entered, seeing your daughter limp on the floor as Steve held her. "Oh my-"

"Call 911."

An ambulance arrived within 5 minutes, taking your daughter away from Steve and you, which was heart wrenching enough. The two of you rode in the ambulance with her, as the EMTs frantically attempted to regain her life. But it was too late.

She was declared dead when they immediately reached the hospital. There was no way to get her back. They did an autopsy revealing she died of a stroke, something doctors had warned you about practically since birth.

She was born with the same issues as Steve, before the serum. Although it was meant to alter all his DNA, it physically did. But that doesn't mean everything changed. So your daughter was a fragile piece of love and joy, who you and Steve cherished and protected.

Steve especially. Steve made sure to always look out for her. You knew he understood what it was like being in her footsteps, being frustrated with your body over everything it couldn't do. So they had a special bond over it.

When she first learned to walk and fell right over, erupting in tears, Steve was there to scoop her up and console her. Soon she was calm and he threw her up and down in the air as she laughed, giving you nearly a heart attack after you could've almost sworn he dropped her at least 3 times.

But none of those days would continue. They were all gone with her. Which is what hurt most for you. She had a full, blissful life ahead of her which was all snatched by her health.

The door slowly creaked open and closed as you heard Steve come in and sigh. "Hello doll." He said and sat down next you on the bed.

"Hi Stevie." Your raw voice croaked out. He laid down next to you, engulfing your tiny body in his muscular frame and kissed your temple over and over as you began crying again.

"I know, let it all out." He said. You could feel the guilt he held. He could've sworn this was his fault. If he just would've looked at what could've happened to her through genetic testing this wouldn't have happened.

"Steve," You spoke up and broke out of his grip, looking up into his beautiful baby blue orbs, "This isn't your fault." His head tilted down in shame, "It never was and it never will be."

"I know," he sighed, "I know." There were a few moments of silence.

"How's everyone else holding up?"

"Better than us, but not much better." You nodded.

"How about Bucky?"

"He's upset," Steve met your eyes again, "Very upset." This time it was your turn to sigh. "But I think he's holding up better than us."

"We're gonna get through this," You said and grabbed Steve's hand, "I promise."

"I know doll," He said and very lightly smiled, "We always do."