Sick (C.E.)

I was suddenly awoken at the grueling hour of 2 a.m. by a sudden shaking and small voice. "Mommy?" I heard. It was Katelyn.

"Yes, sweetie?" I mumbled.

"I don't feel so good-" She began. Then I heard the sound no one ever wants to hear: the sound of throw up. I looked over to see at least it was on the floor, and quickly turned on the lamp next to me.

"C'mere baby." I told her and opened my arms which the 4-year-old gladly accepted. "Chris," I mumbled next to me still seeing him asleep and snoring. He didn't budge. "Christopher!" I said slightly louder and kicked him under the bed.

"Yeah- what?" He jolted awake, still sleepy and drowsy.

"Kate's sick and thrown up, can you clean it up and grab me a cold towel for her forehead."

"Mhm." he mumbled into the pillow before slowly emerging from the bed, thankfully with sweatpants on. He went to our master bathroom and grabbed some paper towels, but first a cold washcloth for her head.

I had her lay down next to me and placed the towel on her forehead. I slowly moved it around to cool her down. "Chris, could you also grab a thermometer?" I asked as he threw out the barf filled towels. He nodded, washed his hands, and reached up in the cabinet to get one. He then passed it to me and I placed it under her tongue.

After a few seconds and Chris grabbing a t-shirt to put on it read 101. "Chris?" I asked and he looked over at me as he pulled the t-shirt over his head. "Can you grab children's Motrin too? She's running a fever." He did as I asked and grabbed some, measured it, and handed it to me.

"Baby?" I asked Kate, "Mommy needs you to take this." She groaned a little, "It'll make you feel better okay?" She reluctantly took it. Chris took the cup back to the sink and came back to bed.

"Mommy?" She asked, "Can I stay with you and Daddy tonight pwease?" She asked.

"Of course love."

"Wait-" She said, "I need Mr. Bear Bear." Chris who was still up was of course already on the way to her room to grab her favorite stuffed animal. He did and brought it back for her. She gratefully took it.

"Thank you, daddy."

"You're welcome, princess. Now it's time for bed." He climbed in next to us, but Kate immediatly gravitated towards him, resulting in a sleeping Kate on top of sleeping Chris' chest. I eventually went back to bed too.