|38|

Jisoo wasn't sure if she was dreaming or awake. Maybe somewhere in between. That feeling when someone was watching her straight up got her senses and her eyes open and active.

The faint scent of vanilla infiltrating her nose calmed her immediately and the lump of hair upon her chest made her smile. Jennie was still wrapped around her as if she would leave her side if given the chance. It was a futile worry but she wasn't about to complain. She was way too comfortable despite the hold that the sleeping beauty has on her.

Jisoo could tell the sun hasn't risen yet. The yellow light from the the ceiling helped her to adjust easier and her eyes found the thing or person that urged her to wake up. She saw Jinwoo standing so still, barely looking like he's breathing at all, that she almost pinched herself to make sure she wasn't dreaming or seeing a ghost. Though those things don't scare her but the sight that welcomed her... irked her a bit.

Kim Jinwoo had a faint smile, almost wistful in some way, as he met Jisoo's eyes directly. It took her some moments to recover as she realized that the man would get the wrong idea of her sleeping with his cousin. As if he didn't already get a hint of it back to that time when he first arrived days ago.

Jisoo was about to pull away but Jennie sleeping so comfortably was doing the opposite as she inched even closer and Jinwoo just shook his head by a fraction. He came close and bent down, that particular smile still hovering on those luscious lips which Jisoo could see clearly due to their already small distance. She opened her mouth to speak or to explain in a hushed tone why she was with Jennie but the latter only dropped a kiss on Jennie's temple. Right under her nose.

His musk scent mixed with the one Jisoo was breathing in since earlier because of their proximity. Jinwoo's eyes were only trained at Jennie's sleeping face and when he finally glanced at Jisoo, who had widened her eyes in surprise, he placed his forefinger in front of his lips. Jennie was still dead to the world and Jisoo didn't get anything else from the older guy as he exited the room too quietly.

He was gone with a last glance at them tangled together before Jisoo was completely awake to figure out what that was all about.

~***~

A few days past and soon enough, Jisoo was getting birthday greetings from her friends and family from the orphanage. She just finished their video call with the kids, having to decline their request with wanting to see their "cute and adorable older sister" Jennie because the latter was busy with their dance lessons. She was also part of it too, with Jinwoo as her partner, but the guy also had to take an immediate call so they were given a break.

She hasn't asked him yet about what occurred the night she saw him at Jennie's bedside. It was probably because he was checking up on his cousin but Jisoo can't drop that weird feeling. As if there was also something more than what Kim Jinwoo shows up front. Why else would he asked her to keep quiet or act like it was some huge secret in the middle of the night?

'Maybe I'm thinking too much about this...'

Jisoo took in a deep breath and let it out before she returned to the dance room where Lisa and the others were staying in. The moment she got herself inside, party poppers sounded on both of her sides and wild noises followed suit. Bobby was holding a cake placed on top of its box, Chaeyoung and Lisa was greeting her a happy birthday with much enthusiasm and the rest of them left was just hyping the whole ordeal. She didn't know everyone but the people in the room were her schoolmates that Lisa got for the cotillion.

They were all singing the birthday song with the cake right in front of her. Her eyes searched for Jennie because it could only be her to have this much influence to make people do things. But instead, the younger girl's face was stoic and Jinwoo, beside her, was the one with all smiles. The complete contrast distracted her until she could her name coming up and ending the song.