|42|

"Yes, sir. The party ended almost a half an hour ago. No, there wasn't any trouble. It went perfectly fine... Jennie must be in her room now... I mean, I'll check up on her after this call... yes, she went on to talk to our business partners and investors as you wanted. No, it wasn't a struggle at all. Your daughter is a natural."

Jinwoo waited for the older man to ask something else. His phone was nestled between his ear and shoulder as he poured himself a hard drink. He felt quite anxious and bothered the whole day that a sip or two eased him out a bit.

"Good job. Thank you for your hard work. Now that everything seemed to have gone well and you didn't ommit anything... you proved yourself again, Jinwoo."

He waited for him to address a particular person but his words distracted him. It was as if everything Jinwoo told him was already reported beforehand. He held his breath, trying not to let out a sigh at the realization that the superior Kim always second guess everything not even taking the paranoia even on his own daughter's birthday.

He recalled someone familiar in the crowd during the event. He put down his glass and shook his head. He wouldn't be able to do so if he was face to face with the latter. Just like how the Jennie's father won't ever let her go unwatched despite not being physically present.

"I want the best for Jennie, uncle. I'm here to support her and right now she's far from disappointing you."

"I do hope so. I don't plan on letting someone incompetent to take over the company. And we both how many times she stepped out of the line." He paused for a second before finally sounding like the call's about to be disconnected soon. "You, on the other hand, are an asset to us. Which is why I want you back here on the main branch soon."

"But, uncle, my flight's not for another three weeks--"

"Jinwoo-ah... did I not make myself clear? Or do you need my jet to take you?"

"No! It's not that, sir." The brunette pressed the bridge of his nose. "I thought I could stay for a longer time. Because Jennie..."

"Well it's a change of plans. Be back by the end of the week. That's all." Jinwoo's grip on his phone tightened. He thought of hanging up first this time as he found it quite unfair. But he wasn't going to do that. "Understood?"

"Yes, sir."

"And also... don't get too attached with Jennie. You're spoiling her too much. At her age, she doesn't need that anymore."

The call ended without waiting for Jinwoo's reply. He placed his phone on top of his table and leisurely took his time drinking whisky. He let out a sigh as he go over the things he had noticed throughout the day. He was enjoying his short vacation until everything just had to be ruined.

He relaxed in the tranquility he has accessed in his own room, his head filled up with thoughts. Moments later he heard loud knocks upon his door. He thought of just ignoring it as he wasn't in the mood for any etiquette. He had been doing that the entire day.

When another round of knocks turned into what was more like pounding on his door, he ran his hand through his well kept hair. He begrudgingly made his way towards his calling, forcing a bit of a smile. He was tired and he was planning to get whatever the other person need over with.

As soon as he opened the door, his perfect smile dropped at the sight of the broken girl in front of him.

"I... I don't know what to d-do anymore."

Eyes swelling with tears, cheeks flushed and voice laced with pain as she spoke, Jinwoo stood momentarily shocked. The young girl was breaking down in tears in front of him. Her majestic image earlier was replaced by a damsel in distress.