Chapter Three: Fulfilling The Promise

Sakura's weekday started like this.

She woke up, stayed on the bed for five minutes to recollect her thoughts, get in the shower, grab some toast and go straight to Konoha Children Mental Health Clinic. A clinic in which she work as the Director.

However, today is no ordinary weekday as there is a certain raven haired shinobi lunging in the living room, cleaning his katana. When he saw Sakura walked inside the living room, Sasuke sheathed the sword. He had a slight questioning look when he saw the pinkette dressed in her shinobi outfit with a white coat.

"You're going somewhere?" Sasuke asked slowly, eyes trailing over her outfit that far suit her more than she could ever imagine.

She's a medical nin and is probably a Doctor now, Sasuke thought. Once this lady was a young girl crying for help during the chunnin exam. And now, that young girl is a prodigy and disciple of the fifth Hokage, physically the strongest kunoichi in Konoha, a master in medical ninjutsu and one among the three shinobi to ever posses and manifest the Byakugō seal. She truly became a strong, splendid and beautiful kunoichi that Sasuke can't help but be proud of.

"Yeah, I'm going to the Children's Hospital. Do you want to come?" Seeing that Sasuke doesn't really have anything else to do, Sakura had somewhat took the fact as a liberty to ask if he wanted to come along. And she wanted to find out if Sasuke is good when it comes to children. Why she wanted to know? She had no idea.

Or perhaps she had an idea, she just doesn't want to think much about it. Besides, they're nineteen. It's not like they could raise a child at this age.

Sakura shook her head clear off the thought and waited for Sasuke outside. Once outside, the two started to walk towards the Hospital, enjoying each other's silence and letting their thoughts consume them along the way.

When they arrived at the Hospital, Sakura was instantly greeted by her colleagues. But when they see Sasuke, they instantly excused themselves. It seems a fraction of his past actions still lingers around him.

Sakura decided to take Sasuke to where the children were playing outside. A playground where children can freely interact with one another. Playing tag happily, laughing carelessly.

"They can laugh now. It took years to bring back those smiles. And more years to heal the wound of the War." Sakura explained.

"As long as there are children who can laugh and smile, I know the future will be just fine." As Sasuke listen to Sakura's words, he couldn't help but trace back the memories of the past.

He was a happy child back then, always running after his older brother, hoping to train with him, learn more jutsu with him. He remembered the days he used to play tag with everyone. Then as he come home, he would be greeted by the smell of food and fresh tomato soup. Children are the hopes of tomorrow. He is the only remaining survivor of the Uchiha Clan. A Clan that treasured love more than anyone.

His thoughts were cut off when a child suddenly yelled. "It's Sakura-sensei! Sakura-sensei is here!"

All of a sudden, almost a dozen children run towards the pink haired kunoichi, she was engulfed by hugs and kisses from the children and Sakura couldn't help the smile as she was showered by little kisses.

Sasuke watched the scene unfolds before him. For the first time, he felt a slight tug on his lips. He didn't fight the smile this time, instead he gave in and smiled for real. Even if it was a small smile, barely lifting the side of his lips, one girl saw it.