Chapter Thirty-Nine: Snow-Filled Evening

Sasuke was discharge at the hospital the day after he woke up. His wounds were not vital and it was exhaustion and his nearly depleted chakra that pulled him into unconsciousness for a few days. It's December now and the embers of Autumn had long since gone. The month itself carried the wind of Winter but snow has not yet touched the land of Fire.

Sakura woke up, and for the last three months, for the first time she woke up with the feeling of someone's arm draped around her and the warmth emitting behind. She stirred in her sleep and slowly turned around. Sensing the sudden movement, Sasuke lifted his arm around and felt Sakura sat up on the bed. The Uchiha peaked his eyes open as he watched the pinkette stood up from the bed and stretched her limbs. Her oversized shirt showing a portion of her swollen stomach and Sasuke felt a stir in his chest.

"Oh, Sasuke-kun you're awake," Sakura stated as she looked at Sasuke, who was not hiding the fact that he's downright checking her out.

"What do you want to eat for breakfast?"

Sasuke hummed as he stood up from the bed and walked around to pick up his cloak sprawled on the floor.

"I have to go to Kakashi," Sasuke answered as he took out the scroll.

Sakura was about to say something along the line of can't it wait later? But then her eyes caught the scroll and Sakura knew Sasuke might've had to deliver it to Kakashi as soon as possible. So instead of pushing her argument for Sasuke to eat breakfast first then go to the Hokage's office later, Sakura just nodded and looked down.

"Oh, okay," she whispered before proceeding to the kitchen.

"I'll be back later," Sasuke said and even before Sakura could reply, she heard the door shut and Sasuke was gone just as fast. She doesn't even know when is later. Will it be before lunch, after lunch or by dinner? Sakura just heaved a sigh and tried not to dwell on the stirring unease she was feeling akin to sadness.

Sasuke was just busy, it took him three months to get that scroll, it must've been very important. Sakura convinced herself. She doesn't even know what occurred in those time but for him to come back in that state told her enough that whatever occurred in order to get that scroll must've been very difficult.

Come to think of it, when Sasuke arrived yesterday he instantly soaked himself in the bath. Then before Sakura knew it, he was fast asleep. She wasn't able to get a chance to ask him to tell her what happened in his journey. And she still hasn't able to tell Sasuke what happened in her mission in Suna. Sakura had lots to tell him, so many things that she doesn't know where to start. And even if she does, Sakura doubt if she ever gets the chance to.

She heaved another sigh as she took a sip of the lukewarm milk. The room suddenly became colder as Sakura felt the emptiness right after Sasuke left.

___

While Sasuke was on the way towards the Hokage's office, he almost cursed at the coldness. He left in a hurry that he forgot it was actually winter and winter means cold. And he didn't even bring a scarf or a cloak. He left quickly even though he wanted to stay in the warm apartment until heaven knows when but he remembered the scroll. Sasuke need to deliver it to Kakashi so he could come back to Sakura as soon as he give it to the Hokage.

While cursing the weather that no one has control with but the deities, Sasuke didn't notice Naruto walking towards him. Actually, if he noticed the yellow haired shinobi a second earlier, he would've slipped out of sight. But Naruto had seen him.