Chapter Twelve: Towards Sunagakure

Sasuke and Sakura left at the break of the dawn even before the sun could rise above the horizon. The Villagers bid their farewells to the two as they sent them off back to where they came. Sasuke and Sakura were near the border of The Land of Steam when they saw a silhouette of a man. Slowly the silhouette became gradually clearer and the  two doesn't need to squint their eyes to see who it was.

It was the Village Head of The Land of Steam. The big bellied man who had the audacity to make fun of them the first time they met.

"Welcome back! Yes, yes, how have you two been? I heard you have resolve the situation in the tribe? You two must be tired."

"News reach you fast," Sasuke said, his scowl visible. Sakura finds it hard to look him in the eye without blushing like a tomato. Last night, Sasuke showed her the initiative to take their relationship a level higher. In the most unexpected way, Sakura might add.

"And no, we're not really tired. It pains me to stay any longer in your Village."

Sakura had no idea what has gotten in Sasuke. Is he still mad at the Village Head?

"Let's go, Sakura." Sasuke proceeded first, without even acknowledging to say a farewell remark to the Village Head. So with a bow and a small apology, Sakura followed the young Uchiha into the forest.

The way to Konoha is up North, but instead of proceeding ahead Sasuke took a detour. He turned towards the East and Sakura followed. She doesn't know where they'll go next. Without any plans or destination, it's as if they're staring on a tabula rasa. A clean slate. Sakura wonder where they'll go. But it feels odd. To go on a journey with a plan they don't have.

Now what?

Now what?

After the kiss, now what?

Sakura's heart sped up. Her face feel hot all of a sudden. For a moment she thought she tasted the minty flavor of the alcohol that Sasuke drank. They were hopping on tree branches. And Sakura's heart isn't coordinating with her actions. She must stay calm or else she would fall.

The tree branch her foot landed was moist and to all the luck she has in the world, her foot slipped.

She doesn't know how it happened but Sasuke was on her side in a matter of a millisecond. He grabbed her waist and switch their place so he would be the one to land on the ground, Sakura on top of him preventing any injuries while Sasuke took all the impact. Sasuke left eye was close that Sakura thought he must've been hurt.

"Sasuke-kun are you–"

Sakura had just come to realize what their position was (see picture in the media >•<). Her eyes slowly widen and her face flushed. This is the most awkward scenario the two of them could've gotten into. This is even more awkward than the kiss they shared last night.

When Sakura recollected her thoughts, she managed to look up and stare at Sasuke. His left eye now open and his rinnegan was activated. Did he use it a while ago? That's right, Sasuke could switch his place to another object in an instant. And he could bend time and space. He did use it back during the War, when he was trap in a dessert by Kaguya and Sakura and Obito had to rescue him. The time when Sakura had use all her remaining chakra and was about to fall, Sasuke was there to catch her, his eyes staring deeply into hers.

But this is different. And Sakura felt embarrass to no ends.

"I'm so sorry, Sasuke-kun," she said before standing up.