Chapter Twenty-Two: Crest

Sasuke stare blankly at the ceilings. The headache he gets every time after he drunk alcohol was becoming familiar to him that he's starting to worry about it for real. He really should stop drinking. His head was throbbing so bad he had to crawl down the bed. And as someone like the Uchiha Sasuke, crawling out of bed was an embarrassing scene that Sakura had to stiffen a laugh when she saw it.

There she was, the pinkette, standing in the doorway. Sakura was in a better mood but when she saw Sasuke, all of a sudden she was whisked back to last night's one particular event.

Those words Sasuke uttered in a drunken state. When Sakura remembered that, her cheeks reddened.

"Sasuke-kun, breakfast is ready," she said before making a mad dash back to the kitchen before Sasuke could even look up.

The smell of food instantly wafted in his nostrils as Sasuke took a seat on the chair, a warm mug of black coffee on the side.

"I have to go to the hospital today," Sakura said, trying to start a conversation before the atmosphere between them gets awkward.

"Hn," Sasuke hummed, sipping the coffee to ease his headache but stopped when he remembered something.

"But today's Sunday," he said. He briefly remembered back when he was a kid, his father who was working as the Captain of the Konoha Police Force would get a day off every Sunday. So Sasuke expected Sakura would get a day off today from the hospital as well.

Sakura was seemingly surprise when she heard his question. The question alone was so unlike Sasuke that it took her by surprise. But the pinkette recovered as quickly and answered, "Yeah. But I still need to get some work done in the Hospital."

"I'll be back before noon," she added.

Sakura finished her breakfast, she didn't know if she ate too fast or Sasuke was just eating too slow. It seems it was the latter when Sakura notice Sasuke touching his forehead occasionally. He must have had a terrible headache.

Sakura stood up and walk towards Sasuke. He really has a headache because it didn't register to Sasuke that the pinkette was right beside him until he felt her palm on his forehead.

"You should conserve your energy," Sasuke said, his shoulders visibly relax as he leaned on the chair.

"And let you have a headache for the whole day?" Sakura chuckled as she continued to do her work. A few seconds later Sasuke could feel his headache subsiding until he doesn't feel even a slightest ache anymore.

Sakura proceeded to the living room, putting her coat. Sasuke already finished his breakfast and followed Sakura to the living room.

"I'll be back before noon." The pinkette walked outside the door with a bright smile to start off the day. And to Sasuke, it was a beautiful start, to see her smiling so gleefully like that. He must've said something last night that put the butterflies in her stomach in a wild frenzy.

When Sakura arrived at the Hospital, it was the same routine she always does every day. The children were happy to see her and Sakura was happy to see them as well. She's glad the children are starting to get better.

Half of the day passed like that so quickly and Sakura decided to change her clothes. She used to leave some spare clothes in her office just in case an emergency happened and she needed to stay in the Hospital for more than a day. The pinkette also ditched her coat and left it in her office.

"I'll get going now, take care of the children," Sakura said to her colleagues as she walk towards the door. For some reason her colleagues are giving her some weird looks.

Turns out, the reason why they were looking at Sakura like that was because of a certain raven haired Uchiha waiting for her outside. Much like last night, Sasuke was on his casual clothes, leaning on a tree a few feet away from the Hospital. His eyes are closed until he felt the presence of an all too familiar pinkette.

He opened his eyes and was greeted by the view of Sakura leaning in almost too close to the ravenette. She was leaning to check if Sasuke was sleeping but he suddenly opened his eyes.

The two walked side by side, towards the market already bustling with people despite the fact that it's just almost noon. Then Sakura remembered that time when she spent a whole day with Sasuke after all those years. That day right after he got back home. Sakura made a mental note to buy tomatoes because last time Sasuke had to ask her if she wasn't going to buy some.

They had lunch at home, Sakura prepared a dish that her mother taught her to which Sasuke said he didn't dislike it. Then the rest of the day, they stroll around Konoha, revisiting some of the places they used to go when their genins. Then just like that, night instantly fall.

That night, Sakura was sound asleep while Sasuke was still wide awake. He was staring blankly at the ceilings, he turned his head to look at Sakura's back, the slow intake of breath an indication that the pinkette was already off to dreamland while Sasuke was contemplating whether he'll get a wink of sleep any time soon.

His gaze turned towards the circle crest on the back of her clothes. Her family's crest. Sasuke slowly lifted his hand, fingers caressing the crest that rested atop the back of her clothes.

Sakura stirred in her sleep. Her slumber wasn't that deep that when she felt a feathery touch on her back she suddenly woke up. But she soon relaxed under the touch, pretending that she's still sound asleep as she closed her eyes again. The pinkette tried to fight the small smile that managed to crept its way to her lips.

At first, Sakura thought that Sasuke was just drawing invisible patterns on her back to help him sleep. Until she realized that the patterns are something else.

Sasuke was tracing the Uchiha Clan's crest on her back and Sakura gave in and let the smile make its way to her lips. Soon enough, the feathery touch ease her back to sleep and Sasuke also found himself resting in the arms of slumber.

_____

When morning came, Sakura busied herself in the kitchen. While arranging the table, she heard shuffling on the back, an indication that Sasuke had arrive.

"Good morning, Sasuke-kun," she said, as always, with a cheerful tone to start the day.

"Sakura," he called, making the pinkette stopped what she was doing. "Wouldn't it be proper to start wearing the Uchiha crest?"

He said that in a normal tone yet Sakura's face practically reddened. He even sounded almost nonchalant yet the pinkette had dozens of butterflies wildly fluttering in a frenzy inside her stomach.

"I-I'll stop by a sewing shop to have some of my clothes sewed with the Uchiha's crest."

If Sakura thought she'll finally calmed her racing heart, Sasuke had to speak again.

"I'll come with you. I know a shop where my parents used to go to get our clothes sewed with the crest."

Yes, Sakura doesn't know if she'll ever get a break with how fast her heart was beating.

The crest, the symbol of a family that a person belongs to. Changing the crest means settling with another family for the rest of your life. It seems the circle crest on her back will be changed into the patterns Sasuke were tracing on her back last night; the Uchiha crest. The white and red fan, symbolizing the start of an ember spark that with the help of the fan would become the fire that will illuminate the beginning of the strongest clan in Konoha, a clan that treasured love more than anyone else. The Uchiha.
.
.
.
.
.

Short Chapter, but I hope you enjoyed nonetheless.

Thanks for reading!!! Vote and comment!!