Chapter Seven: The Land of Steam

A/n (at the beginning. Sorry y'all.)

I just wanted to apologize for not uploading last week. When I thought College would be easy peasy lemon squeezy, I was totally wrong. Anyways, I will try my very best to write more. I couldn't afford to slack off in College as much as I did in High School.

A big THANK YOU FOR REACHING 1K READS!!!!!

_____

The night befalls upon Sasuke and Sakura as the forest was instantly covered in a blanket of darkness and the twinkling of thousands of lights in the sky called stars. The air also changes as the atmosphere gradually got colder but shift in the air went unnoticed by the two as they ran northward.

They only stopped once to catch their breaths, drank a bottle of water and checked the map Kakashi provided the two before they took off again.

The Land of Steam is not that far. Little is known about the place since the citizens, as far as they are concerned, rarely involve themselves in war. They are more of a pacifist in nature and would rather stay in the gray line than take sides. So perhaps the fact that the citizens were struck by a mysterious plague couldn't be a product of a terrorist group nor an underhanded attack from other nations. The Village is relatively small compared to others. The geographic location of the place couldn't also be a factor. So what could've been the cause?

But there is one certain thing that Sasuke couldn't help but ponder.

The Land of Steam. The name has a pretty ring to it. Nations and Villages were named after the thing they are famous with. So the Land of Steam must have had Hotsprings. Lots of Hotsprings. Just why did it have to be that kind of place? It's not as if this is some kind of a honeymoon or something.

For some odd reason. Or maybe not that odd. Sasuke, with all his refined glory, tripped on a pebble. He stumbled a few steps before regaining his balance as he exhaled a breath.

"Sasuke-kun, what's wrong?" Sakura asked as she stopped, looking at Sasuke with her wide big emerald eyes.

The thought about Kakashi's underhanded tactic. Could it be? But no, the Sixth Hokage would never lie about something like that. Yes, he was a closet pervert back in the days, but that just can't be.

"Sasuke-kun, do you want to rest? Though we're almost there." Sakura looked at a distance where steam was brewing. It's that close already?

Once Sasuke find out the truth, and if Kakashi is indeed lying. The young Uchiha couldn't imagine what he'll do to his former teacher.

"Let's keep going," Sasuke said as he straightened up and composed himself. They proceeded to their destination. What awaits them remains unknown. Except for one fact. If Kakashi is telling the truth and if the whole Village is indeed falling ill, then they must be extra cautious. The war may be over but evil lurks in every crooks and crannies, they may be in peace but evil always finds its way to snatch the things most precious to everyone. And Sasuke, upon reaching enlightenment through the form of fighting his only friend and losing an arm in the process, swore to protect the smiles of the next generation and create a world where his children can live in peace.

_____

What remains of the obsidian night was just a few pecks of stars and and thin moon with half its body hidden behind the cloud. However, the dawn has yet to appear, enough to tell that the night wasn't long over.