Chapter Twenty: Sasuke's Birthday Celebration

It was awfully quiet. Sasuke knew something was off when Sakura left right after they had eaten lunch. It quite surprised him when Sakura told him that she had a business to attend to. She said she was going to Ino's flower shop. But when Sasuke asked her again after five minutes she said she was going to the children's hospital. Now Sasuke doesn't know where Sakura really had gone to.

It was right after Sakura went to heaven knows where that Sasuke found himself alone in her apartment. On any other occasion the apartment would seem small but now that Sasuke was alone it feels like the whole apartment was way too big– and empty.

By the time Sasuke had finish reading the fifth volume of Ninja Tactics (not related to Make-Out Tactics in any way, shape or form), Sasuke decided to take a stroll outside.

Which was a good decision at first. Until Sasuke saw a glimpse of yellow and orange passed by his peripheral vision.

Sasuke then found himself face to face with his yellow haired friend.

"Naruto," he said, giving the young Uzumaki a nod of acknowledgement.

"Hey Sasuke-teme, where are you off to?"

Sasuke took a deep breath before answering. "I was looking for Sakura. Have you seen her?"

With his powerful kekkei genkai, Sasuke instantly saw Naruto twitch and tried his best to hide the fact that he was a little bit nervous.

"Sakura-chan? Oh! She went to Kaka-sensei's office. She didn't tell you?"

Sasuke was even more confused as to where Sakura really is. So he decided to check all three locations that Sakura might have gone to.

But before he could even take three steps ahead, Naruto was in front of him all of a sudden.

"Say, Sasuke, why don't we go visit the park? Besides, we still got an hour before sunset."

Sasuke looked at Naruto in disbelief and possibly in disgust as well. Why in the world would two young men, go to a park, to watch the sunset together? Isn't Naruto married? And Sasuke already vowed to Sakura?

Before Sasuke could open his mouth in protest, Naruto linked his arm to the young Uchiha's arm and practically dragged him to the park.

The park was near the river and the place was bustling with children as they play tag. The two went to a vacant swing and Naruto sat on one, looking at Sasuke as he stood in front, eyeing the swing.

"Don't worry Sasuke-teme, the swing doesn't bite," Naruto said before adding a remark. "Or are you still a scaredy-cat?"

Naruto smirked playfully and chuckled as he remembered that time when Sasuke so smugly told him that same word when they were attacked by bandits. And of course, Naruto made sure that Sasuke would bite off his word during the chunnin exams when Naruto called him a scaredy-cat.

Those were the days when everything seems to be so simple and carefree and they had a bond akin to family together with their sensei, Kakashi and of course Sakura.

Sasuke rolled his eyes at the mention of that particular word before sitting on the swing. They overlooked the children playing around as the sunset reflected the river into million tiny diamonds.

Before long, parents started to arrived as they picked their children. The little kids happily jumping on their fathers' arms as some happily accepted their mothers' pat on their heads. Naruto had a huge grin on his face as Sasuke let a feathery smile touch his lips. It was one thing seeing those children so happy as they bid a temporary farewell to their friends, knowing that each of them has a home to return to, a warm food and a complete family.