Chapter Forty-Four: The Light that will Illuminate the Dark

Does darkness exist? Is there really such a thing as evil? Sometimes those random thoughts would cross Sasuke's mind just because. He doesn't really know why, but perhaps because he has a fair share in experiencing those kinds of things and then suddenly getting whisked out of that place and into a world of light and hope that he started to contemplate whether darkness really does exist or it was just merely the absence of light.

A clan that treasured love more than anything. So was the once feared clan of the Land of Fire. But then they became a clan branded as traitor, with its members thriving in the darkness for power. It was such a sad story how the Uchiha Clan had almost ended in one night of a bloodthirsty massacre, burning with it was the Clan's long history as one of the founder of the Land of Fire.

But people always say, that at the end of every dark tunnel, there is light.

And perhaps the long time Sasuke spent walking through that tunnel would finally end as the new light will illuminate the dark path of the Uchiha.

"Are you sure you can travel?" Sasuke asked for the nth time as he look at Sakura who was putting around her cloak.

"Sasuke-kun, I'm fine. I know my body more than anyone." And of course, Sakura had to reassure the Uchiha every time he asked that question.

The data analysis took a day longer and Sasuke had to restrain himself from throwing unnecessary profanities at Orochimaru for purposely delaying the deciphering of the scroll for one more day. Sakura's birthday was yesterday and Suigetsu overheard them talking about it. So instead of keeping quiet, he announced to Orochimaru, Karin and Jugo that it was Sakura's birthday and they had a small celebration together with Yamato.

And today, Sasuke and Sakura are getting ready to depart as soon as possible.

"I haven't seen Karin," Sakura mumbled as they walked through the tunnel. Sasuke eyed the pinkette in slight puzzlement as he still couldn't grasp the fact that they are already friends. Sasuke really doesn't understand how women could easily make friends while men take years to create a bond.

Take him and Naruto for example. It wasn't until three years ago that Sasuke had completely given in to Naruto's declaration of friendship and accepted the fact that he is indeed a friend to Sasuke. It took them three whole years and an arm each to be friends.

They found Orochimaru outside with Jugo waiting for them.

"Karin said to give this to you," Jugo said, as expressionless as he is, Sakura had gotten used to it and took a pouch containing herbal and black tea that Sasuke eyes suspiciously.

"What's that?"

"It's a gift," Sakura said and smiled at Jugo. "But where is Karin anyways?"

"I have to send her to one of my laboratories near the border of Konoha to check some things. She left earlier this morning," Orochimaru said and handed Sasuke back the scroll.