Chapter Nine: The Strongest Kunoichi

Morning begins even before the sun shows up the hills for the tribespeople. And when the sun have finally awaken, everyone is doing their own chores. The wind carried the fog that was hovering above the lake and it glittered with the rays of sunshine like a magnificent painting.

Sakura did not remember falling asleep inside a cabin, on a comfortable bed nor did she remember tucking up a thin duvet on her body. She snuggled the duvet that has a pleasant smell of wood pine before stretching both her hands only to push something or more like someone's face.

She frowned and opened here eyes, blinking away the sleep in her system as she look beside her. On her side, sleeping peacefully– with a bit of drool on the side of her lips– was a child no more than six years old.

Sakura's eyes widen as she was startled out of her wits and landed on her back on the floor. The sound woke up the kid as she rob her eyes in a very cute way. Her long brown hair was like a bird's nest but the girl couldn't care less. Instead, she focus her big doe eyes on Sakura.

"Oh! Good morning Ms. Sakura!" She said cheerfully with a toothy grin.

Sakura blinked before composing herself and recollecting her thoughts. "Where am I?" She asked with a frown.

"You're in my room. My brother said you could sleep here since we only have one spare room."

Her brother? Sakura thought. But if there's one spare room, shouldn't she be in that room? Then she remembered Sasuke. That's right, the last thing she remembered last night was relaxing on Sasuke's shoulder as slumber took her in its arms. So perhaps, Sasuke carried her all the way here. And as a gentleman that he became, it would be rather inappropriate to share a room with a woman. But they're not exactly friends or teammates anymore. Didn't he already asked for her hand? The thought alone brought a crimson burn ablaze on her cheeks as she tried to hide her blush to the curious kid.

"Sakura-neesan why are your cheeks red? Do you have a fever? I should go call onii-chan."

The girl was about to run outside when Sakura caught her wrist gently and shook her head to clear her thought. She stood up and ready herself, before going outside to start the day.

Once outside, the young girl suddenly run towards a group of men discussing something. Sakura saw Sasuke among them and Taisho whom the girl run towards to.

"Onii-chan! Sakura-neesan is awake! She'll be treating the sick now and they'll all be better!" Sakura smiled when she heard the girl's hopeful statement. More so she was a bit surprise to learn that the girl was actually Taisho's kid sister.

"Kanao, did Sakura sleep well last night?" Taisho asked as he looked at his kid sister who nodded firmly.

Sakura walked towards Sasuke who was standing there, minding his own business, as usual. "Good morning Sasuke-kun. Did you sleep well last night?" Sakura asked with a warm smile.

"Hn," was Sasuke's only answer.

On a usual day, Sakura wouldn't mind the simple statement. But since Sasuke hadn't acted like that for some time, Sakura was a bit startled. Did he sleep on the wrong side of the bed?

Sakura's silence must have made Sasuke rethink about his response. He looked at Sakura who quickly averted her eyes towards the lake.

"We found out about the cause of this disease." This time Sakura quickly turn back her gaze to the dark haired Uchiha.

"You're right," he said. Sakura blinked, confused.

"Right?"

"You already knew the cause, don't you?" Sakura's eyes moved back to the lake. "The lake," she whispered.