Chapter Seventeen: The First Date

"Are you sure about this, Sakura?" Ino asked– for the tenth time after they exited the Black Market. "You really don't want to go back to Konoha? It's been a while since we last hang out."

Sakura chuckled and glanced at Sasuke who was talking to Naruto. The two kunoichi were a few steps away from everyone and have been talking to each other as soon as the incident in the Black Market have been settled.

"Ino, I'll come back in a few months. Besides, do you really miss me? It seems as though you and Sai are," Sakura wiggled her eyebrows and put her fingers on her chin in a mock thought. "Honestly, what's going on between you two?"

Ino swatted her hands in front and turned on the side but Sakura caught a glimpse of her red tinged cheeks that approved her suspicion.

"Nothing. Really," Ino suddenly said, a bit silently but Sakura heard nonetheless. "I don't know if he likes me or not. He isn't even showing initiatives while I practically evaporate whenever he's near."

"Have you ever told him you like him?"

"Do I have to? I mean, I'm showing all the gestures that I like him, do I have to spell it out for him?"

Sakura chuckled, half in humor. Sai and Sasuke are almost the same at one point. The point of which both of them were as dense as ice. Even Sakura had to spell it out for Sasuke for years that she love him. And Sai, well, Sai is not the type to show significant emotions other than a half-baked smile.

"Ino, you should tell him. I know he'll accept your feelings right away," Sakura said with a wink.

Sakura have seen it, after all. The way Sai had been looking at Ino without her knowing that he's looking at her. It wasn't a look of someone who wouldn't reciprocate the feelings of the one he's looking at.

"Then, I'll tell him once we get back to Konoha. As for you, are you sure you really don't want to go back?" Ino asked again to which Sakura just laughed and shook her head. After a while Sakura sighed and took a glance at Sasuke again.

"Sasuke's birthday is in two weeks. I just wanted to give him something– a gift, I guess– then after that, we'll come back."

Now, as for the gift, Sakura still has no idea. She wanted to give Sasuke something he's never had before. But she knew Sasuke would not be please with anything material. Sure, he'll appreciate it since Sakura gave it, but Sakura knew Sasuke is not the type to give much thought on material things. Well, she still has two weeks to think about it. Sure enough, Sakura will come up with something good. Good enough to please the young Uchiha.

"Well, Sakura, time to woman up and give him something he would never forget!" Ino said, a little too louder that Sakura had to put her hands on the blond beaut to stop her from blurting out any more than what she had already said, besides they have caught some unnecessary attentions from the shinobis around. Even Sasuke and Naruto looked at the two kunoichi.

Sakura and Ino laughed awkwardly to brush off the stares they received. A short while later after that, the two bid their temporary farewells with one another, each going their separate ways.

In two weeks, Sakura thought, Sasuke will turn yet another year older. She has to think of something to give him. Sure enough, two weeks are pretty long to think about a gift.

_____

At least that was what Sakura had initially thought. Two weeks had passed by like a blur. Sasuke and Sakura had arrive to a Village North of Konoha, in a small secluded area famous for their tantalizing view of the ocean and seafood cuisines. And yet, during that two weeks, Sakura still has no idea about what to give Sasuke.