Chapter Twenty-One: Through Liquors and Apologies

It was half an hour before midnight when Sakura walked with a cake lit with candles. It was a simple cake with white frosting, nothing too fancy for the young Uchiha. Sakura held the cake in front, towards Sasuke who looked at it with a questioning look. It was the first time he received such thing since he was a kid and his parents were still alive. His mother would always buy him a cake and Sasuke remember he would wait for the cake every time he celebrated his birthday back when he was a child. Then after that night, when everything went bleak, Sasuke had never received anything on his birthday. Each year he would turn a year older all he received was hatred and vengeance.

But now everything has changed. Sasuke stare at the frosty dessert. The candles dancing around. Sasuke was savoring the moment until he felt a tap on his shoulder. He turned his head beside to look at Naruto.

"Sasuke, you're suppose to blow the candle," Naruto said, glancing at the still candlelit cake.

Sasuke had an irkmark on his forehead as he glare at his yellow haired friend. "You think I don't know that, dumbass?"

"Hey Naruto! Don't ruin the moment!" Sakura hissed. If she wasn't holding the cake she would've already sent Naruto flying.

The two started bickering. The pinkette was on the verge of punching someone while Naruto was being his usual goofy self. Sasuke sighed before closing his eyes. By then Naruto and Sakura, including everyone, stood in silence as the Uchiha silently makes a wish.

Before the clock ticks twelve, Sasuke blew the candles, along the smoke that came along with it was Sasuke only wish. His wish for the future generation to live in peace.

Once Sakura placed the cake on the table, Ino started slicing it and distributed to their friends who wanted one. While Sasuke and Sakura went back to sit on the table.

"Sasuke-kun, what did you wish for?" Sakura asked curiously before taking a bite on the cake, it wasn't that sweet and the juice from the berry melted with the frost in her mouth.

Sasuke stare at Sakura, briefly looking on the side of her mouth that has a frost from when she took a bite of the cake. He leaned in, surprising the pinkette as her eyes widen, before lifting his hand and wiping the frost with his thumb. Sakura looked at Sasuke, mouth agape.

"Wouldn't it not come true if I were to tell you what I wished for?" He asked, though despite the seriousness in his voice there was a hint of playfulness that lingers along with it.

The night ended like that, soon the dawn breaks and Sasuke and Sakura were out cold in her apartment. Both were snoring away the busy night of Sasuke's birthday celebration. It was also decided when the two went to Sakura's apartment that they'd be sharing a bed. Sakura couldn't protest and just push Sasuke to sleep on the couch. Besides, why else would she be embarrass to sleep beside the man who was practically her husband now?

They let half the day passed, still laying on the bed, savoring the comfortable feeling and cozy blanket. When afternoon came Sakura decided to get out of bed and prepare dinner.

And that became their routine day after day. Until three days had already came by since Sasuke's birthday.

"Where are you off to?" Sasuke asked first thing in the morning when he saw Sakura wearing her boots near the door.

"Oh Sasuke-kun! Good morning!" Sakura greeted, smiling at Sasuke who just got out of bed. The Uchiha was guilty of getting out of bed a little too late than he was accustomed of. But no one could really blame him, he's been out to his journey and hardly gets any sleep.