Chapter Eight: The Untold History

Sakura is sure that it's already morning. She saw the sun ray behind the leaves of trees a little while ago. But as they continue to move northward, it seems the light from the sun had gradually became duller, obscuring the rays from thick leaves and steam. She could also feel the small change in atmosphere, for some reason it became heavy.

The Village Head said that a small tribe is living in the forest. They were descendants of the people from the era of Kaguya Otsutsuki. They don't involve themselves in the outside world unless it's about trade and food ration. They are a tribe shrouded in mystery. According to rumors, documents about the era of Kaguya Otsutsuki written by Ashura Otsutsuki himself were kept hidden amongst the tribes. They were also a relative of the Uzumaki, a clan that came from Ashura.

However, much to Sasuke's dismay, the fact that they were related to Ashura, Naruto's ancestor and not to Indra bothered him a bit. Though he tried to shoo away the feeling. From what he can recall when he was at the point of life and death during the War, the soul of the Sage of Six Paths appeared and revealed unto them the story of the past.

Only Naruto and Sasuke were the only living individuals to have the liberty of telling the tales of the Sage of Six Paths. But they swore to keep it to themselves until the time came for them to pass on the tale to the next generation. But that will be too early to ponder. For now, Sasuke must focus on more important matters.

"Sasuke-kun," Sakura said as she saw the entrance towards the tribe. Sasuke hummed in agreement as they slowed down until they reached the entrance. Two guards were place on each side of the archway with spears in hand. Contrary to modernized clothes, the guards still wear the traditional ones worn during the era of Kaguya.

Sasuke handed them the scroll from Kakashi, inside the scroll contains a message from the Hokage to allow the two to help and investigate the mysterious disease. The guards nodded and lead the way towards a tunnel until they reached a clearing.

Upon setting her sight on the landscape, Sakura's eyes widen. It's as if they are on a different dimension. Much different from the dark and eerie forest. The whole place is surrounded by woods but inside this circle, green grass stretch wide and a water is running from a pond. Houses are made from wood and not from concrete.

Sakura felt at peace here. Just staring at the meadow it seems all her stress in life vanish.

But one thing's missing. The people. They are nowhere to be seen. Usually, some group of people would go and stroll around. But there were none. And not to mention, the air was extremely gloomy in contrast to the peaceful image of the place.

The guards led Sasuke and Sakura towards a tent. Even from outside, Sakura could hear the whimpers of people, probably in pain. She could almost taste the bitterness of the disease that lingers in the air.

"Our Chief sent a message to your Hokage yesterday. The only people we can trust are shinobis from Konoha. Your Village earned our respect for aiding us countless of times and not turning your backs when we needed it the most." One of the guards said. At the mention of their Chief, suddenly a young man, in his early twenties appeared behind.

"Master Taisho," the guards said in unison as they bowed.

Sasuke and Sakura looked at the young man, addressed as Master Taisho. Could he be the Chief? Sakura ponders. But he's too young. His long brown hair tied in a ponytail, saved from some strands that fall on the side of his face.

"Are you the Chief?" Sasuke asked, his face held no emotion. And his brooding intimidation did not go unnoticed.

The young man chuckled in return, but the humor did not quite reach his eyes and his chuckle was dry. "No, I'm afraid not. I am the Chief's second-in-command and his grandson."