39

A few weeks later, there was another quidditch match. Alexandra had no desire to go watch, but figured she probably should in case Quildemort tried anything again. She almost fell down laughing when Hermione had come to her, concerned about the fact that Snape was refereeing the match. She knew there was no way Snape was evil, but she had to admit it was weird. Still, she was sure there was a reason for his sudden school spirit. She asked him about it during her next DADA lesson.

"How many departments are there in the ministry of magic?" He asked.

"Seven." She replied, bored.

"Name them all."

"Department of Magical Law Enforcement, department of Magical Accidents and Catastrophes, department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures, department of International Magical Cooperations. This is boring, by the way." She huffed. "Then there's the department of Magical Transportation, the department of Magical games and sports, and the department of mysteries."

"And who is the minister of magic?"

"Cornelius Fudge. This is turning into a history lesson. Why do I have to learn this?"

"I'd hardly call it learning."

"Are you really going to referee the quidditch match?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"Why not?"

"You're not one to embrace the school spirit."

"As I understand it, if I referee, Potter will have less reason to muck about during the game."

"You mean whoever jinxed Harry's broom will be less likely to try again if you're up there refereeing?"

"Or Potter will be more likely to behave himself and not waste everyone's time." Alexandra smiled.

"That too."

"Ready to get back to work?"

"You refereeing is terrifying the Gryffindors. Everyone knows you don't particularly like Harry."

"Perhaps I'll referee more often then." She laughed.

"Will you be fair?"

"Of course." She didn't believe him. "Will you be at the game?"

"It is my house playing." She shrugged. "Not that I'll be cheering. Unless Fred or George fall off their broom."

"What happened to being fair?"

"You're refereeing. You have to be fair. I'm a spectator. I can be biased."

"You have a point." He sighed, closing the book he held in his hands. "I think that's about as much work I'll get from you today."

"Professor, do you have friends?"

"Friends?"

"Yeah, like I have Hermione."

"I do have some, yes."

"Who?"

"Have you come to a decision about Mahoutokoro yet?" He changed the subject and Alexandra let her head drop into her hands. "I'll take that as a no."

"I don't know if I want to go."

"You have a few months to come to a decision."

"Can't you just tell me to go or to stay?"

"It's your decision to make, Alexandra."

"Alex." She frowned. "Did you know Professor Dumbledore went to go talk to my parents?"