29

The next day Snape had come to check on her. "You don't look so good." Alexandra commented.

"This coming from the girl currently lying in a hospital bed?" He shot back.

"Touché." She shrugged. "But at least I have an excuse. Don't tell me you were poring over that book all night again."

"Professor Dumbledore couldn't find anything either."

"That's because the book had nothing magical about it. It just reminded me of a journal I once read. Guess I fainted."

"That would be considerably more believable," He said. "if only the book hadn't emitted a bright light and you weren't unconscious for a whole week." He said.

"You must've imagined the light. And I can sleep for a month, really. It's nothing new."

"Alex." He said.

"Don't worry about me Professor."

"Do you know how impossible that is? You search for trouble more than anyone else I've ever met in my life."

"When do I get out of the hospital wing?"

"I would have thought you'd like it in here. Away from all the other students." He said.

"I admit that's enticing, but I have things to take care of."

"You do know you aren't allowed near the Cerberus?"

"Snuffles!" Alexandra exclaimed. "Oh, I can't believe I forgot about him."

"You also are not allowed in the forbidden forest."

"That's fine with me."

"So if it isn't the Cerberus or the forest you're after, what things could you have to take care of?" He asked.

"Two pesky boys. Twins. Annoying ones, at that. Really, I'll be doing the school a favour."

"Well, you'll have to check with Madam Pomfrey. She's the only one who can let you out."

"Professor." She started. "How did I do in that potions exam?"

"Outstanding." He replied. "As I'm sure you did in the rest of your subjects."

"I hope so. But I'm not so sure about transfiguration."

"You might surprise yourself." He said. Madam Pomfrey walked over.

"When do I get to leave?" Alexandra asked as soon as she noticed the matron.

"Eager, are we?" She chuckled.

"I don't like being confined to a small bed." She frowned, and Madam Pomfrey smiled.

"None do." She said. "Just a final check up, and you should be good to go."

"Thank you." Alexandra grinned as Madam Pomfrey made her look directly ahead as she looked into her eyes.

"You know, for the resident loner, you're very friendly." Hermione remarked from the door.

"For my friend, you're quite mean." Alexandra retorted.

"Well I have to be if I want to survive this friendship!" She defended.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I love you, Alex, but you're not exactly approachable."

"For good reason."

"In no universe is your reasoning good. Stupid, yes, but not good."

"Ouch." Alexandra pouted.

"It's true."