44

The next morning Hermione forced Alexandra to go to breakfast. Well, really she asked, but Alexandra wasn't allowed to say no.
"Oh, cheer up. It's not that bad." Hermione grinned at her friend.

"I hate you."

"Turn that frown upside down." She continued. "Let everyone see how friendly you can be."

"I still hate you." She glared, before reluctantly smiling.

"Great!" Hermione said as they walked into the great hall. "I have to go sit with Harry and Ron. Wait for me after breakfast. Oh, and be nice to your dorm mates won't you?"

"Of course." Alexandra said and headed to the Hufflepuff table. She sat next to Charlotte.

"Hi Alex." The girl grinned deviously.

"Hello, Charlotte."

"You're being pleasant without us asking you to." She cooed.

"Hermione said I had to." Alexandra deadpanned.

"Can you do me a favour?"

"Yes?" She said uncertainly.

"Can you look over my charms homework for me?"

"Oh, yeah." She sounded a little relieved. "Sure."

"I'm not sure whether to enjoy this or whether to be unsettled." Susan looked at Alexandra warily.

"Enjoy it while you can." Alexandra glared.

"Oh, we plan to."

"We have potions first. That should cheer you up." Hannah smiled and Alexandra shrugged.

"I'll have to meet you there. I promised Hermione I'd meet up with her after breakfast." She said. She looked over to Ernie. "Hey, Ernie. Wasn't there something you wanted to do today?" His eyes widened as Hannah nodded enthusiastically.

"Please don't make me do this."

"I would rather be humiliated once than be humiliated the entire day." Alexandra said. "Count your blessings." He sighed and stood up, walking over to where Cedric sat with his friends. They were quite a few seats away. The girls were all staring at Ernie approaching his idol, with the exception of Alexandra who made a point not to watch. She scribbled something on a spare piece of parchment before pulling out her wand and spelling it. She threw it over to Hermione who was scolding Ron. Hermione caught the paper and looked over to Alexandra. She dubiously opened the paper, not trusting Alexandra's devious smirk.
We get to feed Snuffles together today, don't forget. During second period, since we're both free.
Hermione looked back up to the girl, who was smirking. She crumbled up the parchment and glared up at Alexandra.

"Why does Hermione look so upset?" Charlotte said.

"I have no idea." She replied.

After breakfast, Alexandra met with Hermione at the entrance of the great hall.
"Can we feed Snuffles after classes?" Hermione asked, as they began walking. "Ron and Harry still haven't finished their potions assignment and it's due right after lunch. The idiots!"

"You're not getting out of feeding Snuffles with me today."

"I know. But you can't say no, so after classes it is."

"Fine." Alexandra agreed.

"So last night... this person you maybe fancy. Any chance it's a certain third year quidditch captain?" Hermione asked and Alexandra scoffed.

"No way."

"It is him! You don't interact with anyone else."

"Maybe it's you I like."

"No you don't." Hermione said. "If you liked me like that you'd have been pushing me away like you do Cedric."

"You're like a leech, only impossible to get rid of. I mean I have tried everything to run you away, but you don't let go."

"See- that's not how you talk to someone you like." She smirked. Alexandra pulled a face.

"This is where we separate."

"Have fun in potions." Hermione turned and walked away. Alexandra turned around to leave and saw Cedric in front of her.

"Hey." He greeted.

"What do you want?"

"It's nice to see you too."

"Don't you have class?"

"Not right now."

"I do. I should get going."

"Let me walk you." He offered.

"Why? Yes. Why, yes... you may?" She said, correcting herself.

"Really?"

"Keep up." She huffed and started walking.

"If I asked you to hang out with me, what would your answer be?" He asked.

"I'd say sure." She said.

"This is all a dare, isn't it?" He asked. "You have to say yes to anything anyone asks of you?"

"Pretty much. So if you're going to make me do something, get it over with."

"I want to be your friend, but I'm not going to force you." He said. "See you around, Alex." He walked away. She watched him walk away curiously. She headed to potions, rushing in so as not to be late. Hannah waved her over, and she sat with her roommates reluctantly. Snape watched her walk over to them, with a raised brow.

"Today, you will be attempting the cure for boils. Being an effective remedie against pustules, hives, boils and many other scrofulous conditions, this is a robust potion of powerful character. Care should be taken when brewing. Prepared incorrectly this potion has been known to cause boils, rather than cure them." He stared at Ernie in particular who seemed to shrink in his seat. "Try not to make any mistakes." He said moving along. "Turn to page 45 of your textbooks. You will work in pairs to avoid as much disaster as is possible for you. You have an hour. Begin."

"Be my partner, won't you Alex?" Ernie asked. She pulled a face but nodded. "Yes!" He fist pumped the air and the girls laughed.

Alexandra and Ernie were working on the potion- mainly Alexandra who stopped Ernie whenever he attempted to add an ingredient.
"A glug of stewed horned slugs? What's a glug? How do I add a glug of something?"

"You add..." Alexandra said, tilting in the slugs, quickly. "a glug. Like that."

"It's like another language." He said, looking amazed. She rolled her eyes, as Snape passed by their cauldron. He looked at their potion, and then moved away without saying another word. "Having him as your DADA teaching must be so thrilling." He said sarcastically.

"It's definitely more thrilling than your attempt at conversation." She retorted, taking the cauldron off the fire. She added the porcupine quills and waved her wand on her cauldron and a pink smoke rose from their cauldron.

"Hey, it's finished and with fifteen minutes to spare." Ernie cheered.

"Now to see if it works." Alexandra held up her wand.

"What?" Ernie took a step back.

"Miss Weasley." Snape had circled around the room and come up behind her again. He plucked the wand from her hand and set it on their work desk. "You know very well the potion worked out. There's no need to torture your peer."

"I just want to make sure."

"Observe it's characteristics, Miss Weasley. The colour of the potion, the smoke that it emits upon completion, and of course, I trust you understand what it means to follow instructions." She nodded.

"Yes, Professor." She said. He peered into their cauldron again.

"Rest assured, Miss Weasley, your potion is up to standards." He said. "But see me after class."

"Yes professor." She said and he walked away.