4

Alexandra followed the half giant to an entrance hall.
"The firs' years, Professor McGonagall," He stood by and ushered them in.

"Thank you, Hagrid." She nodded. "I will take them from here." And so she led them to a door and stood before it on the steps. "Welcome to Hogwarts." She started a long speech to which Alexandra only half listened to. Hermione looked at the girl nervously, and Alexandra rolled her eyes before smiling comfortingly. Her smile only lasted a quarter of a second before her face donned its usual stony expression. She was aware of Professor McGonagall walking away.

"So how exactly do they sort us into houses?" Harry asked Ron.

"Some sort of test, I think. Fred said it hurts a lot, but he might've been joking."

"You think?" Alexandra turned around, scoffing. "They were obviously lying to you, Ron."

"How do you know?" Ron asked.

"Were they breathing?" She countered.

"Obviously."

"Then they were lying." Alexandra said and saw the ghosts start floating into the room. Unlike her peers, she didn't jump or gasp in fright.

"Forgive and forget, I say, we ought to give him a second chance-" One ghost was saying.

"My dear Friar, haven't we given Peeves all the chances he deserves? He gives us all a bad name and you know, he's not really even a ghost-" Another was replying but stopped as he noticed the room full of students. "I say, what are you all doing here?"

"New students." Alexandra spoke up when it became evident no one else would.

"About to be sorted, I suppose?" A ghost- the Friar- said. "Hope to see you in Hufflepuff! My old house, you know."

"Move along now," Professor McGonagall cut in. "The sorting ceremony's about to start." The ghosts dispersed and gloated through the walls. "Now, form a line, and follow me."
The first years all began to walk after her. Even Alexandra was affected by the beautiful, grand hall. Professor McGonagall stopped them at the front of the great hall. She moved a stool in front of them and gently placed an old raggedy hat on it. It began to sing.

"Oh, you may not think I'm pretty,
But don't judge on what you see,
I'll eat myself if you can find
A smarter hat that me
You can keep your bowlers black
Your top hats sleek and tall
For I'm the Hogwarts sorting hat
And I can cap them all." Alexandra paled as she realised how she'd be sorted. The hat would go through her memories to determine which house she was worthy of being a part of. "There's nothing hidden in your head
The sorting hat can't see.
So try me on and I will tell you
Where you ought to be.
You might belong in Gryffindor
Where dwell the brave at heart.
Their daring, nerve and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart.
You might belong in Hufflepuff,
Where they are just and loyal.
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true
And unafraid of toil.
Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
If you've a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning
Will always find their kind.
Or perhaps in Slytherin
You'll make your real friends,
Those cunning folk use any means
To achieve their ends.
So put me on! Don't be afraid!
And don't get in a flap!
You're in safe hands (though I have none)
For I'm a thinking cap!" Alexandra backed away slowly. She didn't want anyone going through her memories.

"So we've just got to try on a hat!" She vaguely heard Ron. She bumped into him in her hurry to get away. He noticed her ghostly pale face. "What's wrong?"

"I'm fine." She snapped, and moved to the front. She couldn't leave, especially not with Ron behind her. She suddenly understood the phrase 'between a rock and a hard place'. She resumed her original space. Perhaps she could fool the hat somehow. Hermione moved over to her.

"When I call your name, you will put on the hat and sit on the stool to be sorted." She explained. "Abbott, Hannah!"

"Are you okay?" Hermione asked.

"Peachy!" Alexandra scowled.

"Want to try again a little more convincingly?"

"It's none of your business."

"You're upset." Hermione said.

"Just leave me alone." Alexandra turned away.

"Granger, Hermione!" Professor McGonagall called. Hermione looked at Alexandra one more time, before the older girl shoved her forward slightly.

"Gryffindor!" The hat yelled. Hermione ran to the Gryffindor table happily. It was a while before it was Alexandra's turn. Only she, her brother, and another boy she could already tell would be Slytherin remained.

"Weasley, Alexandra!" Professor McGonagall yelled. The girl made her way to the hat trying all she could to make sure she wasn't shaking. Professor McGonagall placed the hat on her head.

"You're a Weasley, eh?" The hat said in her mind.

'Yes. Can you hurry up and sort me?' She thought.

"Interesting. Now what's this? Trying to resist the sorting hat?"

'Please, don't go through my head.' She begged, or what counted as begging in her own mind.

"I have to. But don't worry. I can keep a secret." She felt the hat prod at the box in the back of her mind where she bunched up all of her feelings. "My, oh my. Now this complicates things. Slytherin would be the obvious choice. You're certainly cunning enough, but not quite as ambitious. There are more important things to you than winning. Gryffindor you would easily fit in with. Your courage and determination is certainly on par with Godric Gryffindor himself."

'Don't put me in Gryffindor, please.' She thought. She opened her eyes and saw the entire hall staring at her. The sorting hat was taking its time.

"Yes, while you definitely posess Gryffindor's qualities, I don't believe it is the right house for you. But Ravenclaw- you have an unquenchable thirst for knowledge, and Ravenclaw would be the best fit for you, but your loyalty is what stands out most of all. Loyalty to family. But which one is the question. Yes Hufflepuff. You're incredibly patient- you've demonstrated that in the past year, very hard working." The hat said in her mind, before yelling. "Hufflepuff!" Alexandra went to the table as quick as she could taking the first seat she saw- one that happened to be right beside Cedric. She noticed him, then groaned.