5

"You're a Weasley?" Cedric asked after Dumbledore made his speech of places that were forbidden. Alexandra only half listened, as he said a few odd words that began the feast. She shrugged at Cedric choosing not to say anything.

"Why'd the sorting hat take so long to sort you?" A student across from her asked.

"He was debating whether to put me in Slytherin." Alexandra technically wasn't lying. But if there was anything to keep her housemates away from her, including hopefully Cedric, it would be that. Her eyes caught the Teacher's table and she saw a familiar face. Her eyes widened. What on Earth was Quirrell doing in Hogwarts? She got the feeling that whatever it was couldn't be any good, and made a mental note to never be alone with him.

"Slytherin? Isn't that the evil house? And totally opposite to Hufflepuff?" Another first year asked. Alexandra sighed and picked at her plate, staying silent.

"Slytherins aren't exactly known for patience, loyalty or playing fair."

"On the contrary. They can be loyal, if the cause suits them and patient, as long as they win in the end."

"So, are you going to take a bite, or do you plan on playing with your food?" Cedric asked her.

"What's it matter to you?" She raised her brow. He stared at her until a friend of his called for his attention. She turned away from him and focused back on her plate. She looked up and saw her brothers. Percy and Hermione seemed to be in the midst of a conversation, while Ron talked to his the other first years. She caught Fred staring at her and she quickly looked away. The end of the feast couldn't come quickly enough. She was at the front of the crowd who followed their prefects Gabriel Truman and Persephone Silver to the Hufflepuff basement. They were led past the kitchens as Gabriel talked about house traditions and characteristics that had to be honoured. Once he was sure everyone was watching he tapped on a specific barrel to the tune of Helga Hufflepuff causing it to open up into a passageway. The common room was nice and comforting. Persephone cut Gabriel off as he started talking about famous witches and wizards who were once part of Hufflepuff, and told him to lead the boys to their dorms and she'd lead the girls.

Alexandra found that she shared a dorm with three other girls; Hannah Abbott, Susan Bones and Megan Jones. When she walked into her dorm, she found her trunk at the end of the bed closest to the door. She didn't mind. It'd make sneaking out of her dorm easier. There was a schedule on the nightstand beside her bed. She immediately grabbed it and sat down on her bed. Her first class was Transfiguration with the Ravenclaws. She pretended to be tired and sank into her bed, faking sleep. The girls talked in hushed whispers for a few hours before falling asleep themselves. Once she was sure they were asleep, she tiptoed out of bed with Percy's old potions book and headed down to the common room. She peeked out and saw there was no one there. She sat down on the black and yellow armchairs and found that she sunk deeply into it. It was a nice feeling and she continued reading.

She was up for another hour, before she heard some footsteps. Alexandra decided escaping to her dorms without being seen would be futile, considering the footsteps came from the girls' tunnel. It was another first year- a girl named Charlotte Little. Alexandra pretended not to have noticed and stayed in her position, reading. The girl walked over to her.
"Hi." Charlotte greeted. Alexandra looked up and managed a smile. "I'm Charlie."

"Alex." She introduced.

"I guess you must love potions, huh?" The girl sat on the chair beside Alexandra's, nodding at her book.

"My brothers taught me some things. It's interesting."

"Personally I can't wait for transfiguration. Could you imagine one day being able to transfigure people into objects?"

"That would be pretty cool." Alexandra shrugged.

"I think so too. You have a brother, don't you? He was sorted into Gryffindor?"

"Yes."

"Me too. Well I have a sister, not a brother. My twin- Lizzie." Alexandra didn't attempt to keep the conversation going, instead her eyes drifting to her book. Charlotte didn't seem to notice. "I'm too excited to go to sleep. Tomorrow we'll have transfiguration. I hear Professor McGonagall's the best, but she can be strict."

"She sounds great." Alexandra closed her book. "I think I'll go back to bed now. Goodnight, Charlie, I'll see you in the morning."

"Yeah, I think I'll do the same. Goodnight."

Alexandra and Charlotte walked down the passage and separated at the dorms. Alexandra barely got any sleep that night and didn't seem very excited when to have transfiguration in the morning. She ignored mostly everyone who tried to talk to her, and skipped the morning breakfast in the great hall. She wasn't at Hogwarts to make friends. She payed enough attention during class so as to understand what was going on- Bill always told her transfiguration was a class that needed practice, not just books- and didn't try to participate much. It was only when the class was set a challenge did she really move, and by the end of the lesson she was the only one who could transfigure her match into a needle. It was a feat that annoyed the Ravenclaws, but won her house twelve points.

Her dorm mates didn't seem to give much thought to the cold shoulder she often gave them, deciding it was instead an invitation to try to be more welcoming towards her.