36

Alexandra managed to get through the holidays, and before she knew it, she was back at Hogwarts.
She couldn't really wait for her DADA class. She loved potions, she did, but she much preferred the one on one tuition that came with her DADA lessons.
"Hello professor." She greeted with a smile walking in.

"You're happy." He noted. "Good holiday?"

"It was okay. Charlie took me along to see the dragons and that was fun."

"And how was the rest of your trip?" Alexandra shrugged.

"Mum made us go on a magical tour and dad made us go on a muggle one. Have you ever been to Romania?"

"No." He said softly, and Alexandra shrugged.

"Are you going to teach me legilimency?"

"Not yet." He shook his head. "First, we must go over the theory of the spells you know. It's one thing to be able to cast spells, it's another to know which spell would be handy in which moment."

"Ugh." Alexandra groaned. There was a knock on the door and Alexandra looked up. Cedric stood there.

"Can I help you, Mr Diggory?" Snape asked in his cold voice reserved for any student not in Slytherin.

"Sorry to interrupt, professor. A fight broke out between two Slytherins. Professor Quirrell suggested I come find you to sort it out."

"Very well." He sighed dramatically, picking up a book and setting it in front of Alexandra. "While I am gone, Miss Weasley, read chapters five through seven." He walked out, his robes billowing out behind him. Alexandra looked at the book and rolled her eyes. Cedric walked in.

"Hello." Cedric greeted. She held her hand out, giving him a small wave without looking up. He looked at the still closed book Snape had set in front of her. "Are you going to tell him you've already read through that? Twice?"

"Sure." She rolled her eyes.

"By which, I'm guessing you mean no?"

"What business of yours is it?"

"Wasn't the whole point of your lessons with Snape to be learning at your own level?"

"Go away." Alexandra stood and headed to the potions cupboard. She began reorganising the ingredients.

"Are you allowed to do that?" She shrugged. "You really don't fear him, do you?"

"My fears are a lot more frightening than a teacher."

"Right. Making friends is obviously a lot more terrifying than a teacher who seems to have it in for every single student not in his house." She didn't reply. "How was your break?"

"Shouldn't you be out... polishing your broom or flying about practicing your quidditch or something?" She rolled her eyes.

"You do know I have a life beyond quidditch, don't you?"

"You do know I don't care, don't you?"

"I know that you don't like to care about much, but you can't seem to help yourself, either."

"Who says I do care?"

"Have you seen yourself around Hermione?" Alexandra thought but had no retort. It was no secret that she was close to Hermione. Everyone knew Hermione was her best friend.

"Do you have nothing better to do than watch me reorganise Professor Snape's potion cabinet?"

"Not really, no." He said. "Why exactly are you reorganising his cabinet?"

"Because he'll get annoyed."

"Shouldn't that make you not want to reorganise it?" She shrugged. "He'll give you a detention."

"So?"

"You want a detention." He realised.

"I just want to annoy him." She huffed and walked out. She headed to the cupboard where the spare potions books were. She pulled out the sixth year book and flipped through stopping at chapter three. She heaved herself onto one of the work benches and began reading, keeping an eye on the door to see when Snape would walk in. She heard footsteps and looked up, seeing Quirrell.

"Miss Weasley." He frowned, noticing Cedric. "Mr Diggory."

"Hello professor."

"Professor Snape is still with Jimmy and Wilbur." Cedric said.

"And wha-what-what are you two doing here?"

"I'm waiting for professor Snape to come back. Cedric's keeping me company."

"And Pro-professor Snape knows you're here?"

"Yes." Alexandra got off the work bench.

"Well then," Quirrell said. "Have a good- h- have a good day."

"That was odd." Cedric said, once Quirrell left. Alexandra looked somewhat pale and put the potions book away, sitting back at her table. She was facing the front, away from the door and Cedric walked over to her. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." She snapped.

"Okay." He didn't press but still stood beside her. She looked up at him.

"You don't have to stay."

"Between you and me?" He leaned closer as though telling her a secret. "Quirrell kind of creeps me out. I don't want to risk bumping into him."

"Between you and me?" She beckoned him closer after he moved away. He leaned in. "You're a terrible liar."

"I'm not lying." He said, picking up the grade two DADA book Snape had set for her. "Unlike you."

"I didn't lie."

"Lie, omission of truth. It's all the same."

"It's none of your business."

"Why are you so adamant that you don't tell Snape you've already read this book, cover to cover more than once."

"Who says I've read it more than once?"

"The twins." He shrugged. "They like bragging about their genius sister who's always got her nose stuck in their or their older brothers' Hogwarts textbooks." She rolled her eyes.

"That doesn't matter."

"Pretty sure he'd be more angry at you for rearranging his potions cabinet than pretending you haven't read all of the school assigned potion textbook."

"Pretty sure I didn't ask your opinion." Cedric shrugged.

"Mr Diggory." A voice called out. "I assume you have someplace to be?"

"Yes sir." Cedric said. "Bye Alex." He walked away. Alexandra pretended to read through the textbook.