33

Alexandra managed to leave Hogwarts without seeing her brothers. She headed to the train and found an empty carriage.
"Truce?" Hermione asked poking her head through the door.

"Truce." She nodded and Hermione walked in.

"You didn't say goodbye to Ron."

"Of course not."

"I'm guessing not to the twins either? Or Percy?"

"No, I did not. Are you done with the twenty questions?"

"They just love you."

"They won't."

"Yes they will."

"No, they won't."

"They've known you for years. Loved you for years. Finding out about that won't make them hate you."

"Mahoutokoro sounds good right about now."

"There's no Mahoutokoro until you finish the school year. Which means there's no way out of this conversation right now." Hermione said. Alexandra pulled a face as Cedric walked past their carriage. He knocked on the door, opening it.

"Can I sit in here?" He asked and Alexandra shrugged. He sat beside Hermione. "Hello, Hermione."

"Hi, Cedric. How are you?"

"I'm fine, and you?"

"I'm good."

"So what are your plans this holiday?"

"I'm just going to be spending some time with my parents. First year away from home and all. Are you doing anything special?"

"No, I'm just going to spend time with my dad, practice some quidditch." They both turned to Alexandra expectantly.

"And that is how normal people converse, Alex." Hermione said, condescendingly. Alexandra rolled her eyes.

"How long before this train ride's over?"

"We've still got hours. It's only been ten minutes."

"Great." Alexandra rolled her eyes. She opened her trunk to get out a book- a muggle book, in fact. 'The curious incident of the nighttime dog'.

"Is that from-?" Hermione stopped, remembering Alexandra didn't want anyone to know about her mysterious gift giver.

"The school library." Alexandra finished. "Madam Pince has a selection of muggle books that are practically untouched."

"We have muggle books at Hogwarts?"

"Have you ever even been inside the Hogwarts library? Don't you spend all your time out flying on that broom of yours?"

"We're at insults." Cedric said to Hermione. "I think I prefer it to the silence." Alexandra didn't respond as Hermione agreed, and instead opened up her book to read it. "Why aren't your siblings going home for the break?" Cedric asked. Alexandra shrugged, keeping to her book.

"Her parents are taking her to Romania to see her brother, so they figured everyone else could stay behind at Hogwarts." Hermione explained not mentioning the reason behind the visit.

"Cool. Charlie's working with the dragons, right?" Alexandra didn't reply. "He's a wicked seeker. I got to play him last year, and-"

"He won, you lost. The end." She said without looking up.

"Pretty much."

"You're a good seeker, Cedric." Hermione said.

"Thanks. Do you play?"

"I'm not really all that good at flying." She said.

"Oh, nonsense. You just need to practice. The school brooms are pretty rubbish." Alexandra rolled her eyes again.

"I know what you guys are doing."

"It's called a conversation. You're more than welcome to join." Cedric said.

"No thanks." She stood.

"Where are you going?"

"To find an empty carriage." She walked out.

"Oh, come on, Alex. We're only teasing." Hermione followed her out. She looked back at Cedric, telling him not to come out. She came further down the train.

"Hermione. Talking to you, that's one thing. I don't have to lie to you."

"You're kidding yourself if you think no one knows you're hiding things. Everyone knows you have your secrets, that you'll lie to them. They want to be your friend regardless and you still lie to me all the time. You just know that I don't care."

"You, Hermione, are such a sweet person. You're so kind and generous, but not everyone thinks the way you do. Not everyone would be okay with... that fact."

"I know."

"No. No you don't. You see things in such a wonderfully innocent way. And I envy you for it, but the world is not an innocent place." Alexandra lowered her voice. "Do you know how many people would hate me? Or judge me? How betrayed people would feel if I pretended like everything was good, hiding all this? I am the enemy. I cannot be trusted. And unless they know what they're getting into, I will not let them believe I can. You accepted me, but not everyone would, H." Tears started to run down her cheeks.

"Oh, Alex." Hermione surged forward to hug and comfort her friend, the way she'd done so for Hermione many times. "You can't alienate everyone because you're scared they won't like you. You've got courage. I've seen it. The way you took charge against the troll." Hermione's voice was so quiet, she was more muttering the words than saying them. "The unicorn, and Fluffy. You are the bravest person I know. Look, come back to our compartment. I won't push. Neither of us will. Okay?"

"I think I'll just find another spot."

"Then I'll come with you." Alexandra sent her friend a look.

"Fine, I'll come back. Just stop with all the talking. You and Cedric do what you want. Leave me out of it."

"Cedric and I are only talking because we care about you."

"I don't care if you talk or whatever. Just not to me."

"I won't promise to stay totally quiet and not try to talk to you, but I'll lay off the pushing too hard."

"Deal." Alexandra said, with a sniffle, wiping away her tears.