3

Alexandra followed after her older brothers to Lee Jordan's compartment, Percy's fourth-year potions textbook in hand.
"Wicked!" Fred was saying as Lee lifted the lid off the box that held his spider.

"It's gross." Alexandra stated.

"You could have stayed with Ron."

"I'd rather hug the tarantula." She frowned. She looked at the hairy creature.

"I dare you to pick it up." George smirked deviously.

"What do I get if I do?" She asked.

"We'll help you get Ron off your back."

"Deal." She took a step to the spider and cupped her hands without flinching. It started walking up her hands and up her left arm. Her brothers stared at her in shock. She always screamed at the sight of even a baby spider. She placed her right hand in the spider's path and let it walk onto it before setting it gently down in it's box.

"What on earth happened to you?" Fred frowned.

"I matured." She shrugged.

"Well, if you can get over your worst fear, you'll definitely end up in Gryffindor."

"It's still gross." Alexandra said. "I'm going to find someplace else to be. You're covering for me."

"A deal's a deal." George reluctantly agreed.

"Thank you. Goodbye." She walked out and headed to look for another compartment. She found one with only one boy in it. "Can I sit in here?" She asked and the boy nodded.

"You look awfully young to be in your fourth year." He said.

"I'm not." She shrugged.

"I'm Cedric." He introduced.

"Alex." She said. "Do we have to talk?"

"I'm sorry." He apologised. She turned back to her book. "If you're not in fourth year, then why are you reading fourth year material?" He asked.

"Because it's my favourite book and my brother lends me his books. I thought we were going to sit in silence?"

"Is conversation with me really all that bad?" He asked.

"I don't know you."

"Exactly. Come on, take a chance." He challenged. "I'm not good with trains. The compartments are too small. If it were up to me, I'd fly all the way on my broom."

"I suppose you're a quidditch player?"

"Captain of the Hufflepuff team. Seeker."

"Hmm." She commented before turning her attention back to her book.

"Hmm?" He asked.

"I don't like quidditch. It's too violent and idiotic."

"Do continue." He smiled.

"I'd rather not. Can I get back to my book now?"

"You're a Ravenclaw, aren't you?"

"I guess we'll have to wait and see." She stood and walked out of the compartment. Noticing they'd almost reached the castle, she headed to the compartment she was originally in for her robes. She walked in to see a girl sitting down, and Ron with his wand out. "I doubt I want to know what's going on." She said. "I'll just get my robes and leave."

"He's about to do magic." The girl pointed at Ron. Alexandra didn't look impressed.

"Sunshine, daisies, butter mellow, turn this stupid fat rat yellow!" Ron pointed his wand at Scabbers but it didn't work.

"Are you sure that's a real spell? It's not a very good one, is it?" The girl said.

"I'm sure it's not. Honestly Ron, you've known the twins all your life. Why would you ever believe they wouldn't be setting you up?" Alexandra rolled her eyes before getting her robes out of her trunk. "You've seen real spells before. You should know better."

"Like this." The girl pointed her wand at Harry's glasses. "Oculus Reparo." Harry's glasses repaired. "Of course, I've only tried a few spells myself, but so far they've all worked for me." She chattered but stopped as Harry took off his glasses looking at the newly mended spectacles, accidentally brushing the hair covering his scar away. "Holy cricket, you're Harry Potter. I'm Hermione Granger... and you are?"

"I'm Alex. That's Ron." Alexandra said, putting away her potions book.

"Pleasure." She smiled at Alexandra, before turning to the boys. "You two better change into your robes. I expect we'll be arriving soon." She looked pointedly at Ron. "You've got dirt on your nose, by the way, did you know? Just there." Alexandra laughed and walked out of the compartment, and Hermione followed. "So, how do you know the boy back there?"

"Ron is my... brother." She scowled.

"Oh? Really?"

"Let's just go put on our robes." Alexandra led the girl down to the toilets where they'd be able to get a modicum of privacy, at least

"So, do you know any real spells?" The girl asked.

"Does it matter?" Alexandra raised her brow.

"No, of course not. I'm just curious." the girl said. They reached the bathrooms, and Alexandra locked the door for privacy with a spell. The girl looked a little impressed, but said nothing. "Are you a second year then?"

"I should be, I just had something come up last year, and couldn't come."

"Oh. Do you know what house you want to be in? I've heard Gryffindor is the best of the best, but Ravenclaw sounds pretty cool too."

"I want to be in Ravenclaw." Alexandra shrugged. "First and probably only one in my family."

"I guess we'll see in a few hours." Hermione shrugged as they both finished changing.

"I guess so."