17

"How are Miss Weasley's studies coming along?" Dumbledore asked Snape. The potions master had been called to the former's office.

"Very well." He said. "Extremely well, in fact. I wonder if perhaps she might be some kind of genius."

"Genius?"

"It takes people months just to learn the foundations of Occlumency, and yet it took her less than two to become accomplished in it."

"You think she's as good as Queenie Goldstein?"

"I haven't begun teaching her legilimency, but I have a feeling she could surpass Queenie's skill."

"Ah." Dumbledore said. "And I suppose you plan on teaching her legilimency?"

"Not just yet. I wanted to start her off with a patronus charm."

"She couldn't?"

"She started strong. She managed an incorporeal patronus on her first try, but as soon as she had the perfect memory it was ruined by a darker one."

"Which is why you decided to teach her Occlumency next?"

"Yes. Now that she can... compartmentalise, it should make producing a patronus easier."

"You truly don't believe there's anything in the Hogwarts curriculum to teach her?"

"Not at all. She already knows spells seventh year students have difficulty with." He said. "And, if my suspicions are correct, Defense against the dark arts isn't the only subject she excels in. I'm going to test her aptitude in potions, and I'll advise her other teachers to do the same. I doubt she's learning anything new in any of her classes."

"She's gotten under your skin." Dumbledore chuckled.

"A little." He shrugged. "She's haunted by whatever she went through the last year. She wants someone to tell, I can see it in her eyes. She's just afraid of being judged."

"Fitting you should be her mentor then."

"You didn't plan it this way, did you? My teaching her Defense Against the Dark Arts was just to get her away from Quirrell."

"Well, I can say with absolute certainty that he won't coming back next year."

"Do you really think he's a death eater?"

"I don't know what it is, but something is wrong about him. So very wrong. His reaction to Miss Weasley only serves to reinforce that belief." Dumbledore said. "I'd advise you, Severus, to test her on her studies before the coming holidays."

"I suppose her mother has insisted she go home?"

"Would you blame her? She lost her child for a year."

"Where do you think she was?"

"I have several theories, Severus. Each more unlikely than the last." Snape nodded. His head snapped around at the familiar rumble of the elevator to Dumbledore's office.

"I believe that is Miss Granger."

"Is there a reason you've called Miss Weasley's closest friend to your office?" Snape accused.

"Go, Severus. I can take it from here."

"Don't push too hard, Albus. You'll end up driving her away." Snape said before walking away. He passed Hermione and ignored her.

"Miss Granger." Dumbledore greeted once she reached him.

"Headmaster Dumbledore." She said, her face pale.

"No need to look so frightened, Miss Granger. You're not in trouble."

"I'm not?" She asked.

"Should you be?" He asked. Her eyes were wide.