21

The next morning, Alexandra trudged grumpily to the breakfast hall. It was her birthday and she was sure the twins were planning something- probably had been for weeks.

"Alex!" A voice called behind her. She kept walking, ignoring it. "Alex!" Cedric jogged to her side.

"What?" She frowned.

"And I thought we were friends." He pouted.

"I don't have friends."

"And Hermione?"

"Except for Hermione." She shrugged. "What do you want?"

"I just saw you walking and figured you could use the company." He smiled and she glared at him. He pretended not to see it. "I have a question."

"Go bother someone else with it."

"You see sometime yesterday afternoon, after classes but before dinner, someone managed to raise fifty points for Hufflepuff."

"So what?"

"I was wondering if you knew who it was."

"Why would I know?"

"Well, no one really knows who it was, and you were pretty much the only person to skip dinner yesterday."

"I wasn't hungry. What's it matter to you?"

"Nothing. I got my answer." He said. She looked at him in confusion.

"Whatever, goodbye." She started speed walking but he simply matched her pace. She tried walking slow, stopping at random intervals but she couldn't shake him. "Leave me alone."

"Sure. As long as you answer my question. How'd you manage to win that many points?"

"I drank some liquid luck and it made me lucky." She said.

"Funny. The truth?"

"I wrestled a troll."

"Your last encounter with a troll only gained you ten points."

"I played nice with the centaurs in the forest."

"You don't play nice with anyone."

"I saved a unicorn from an evil force."

"Unicorns are extremely rare."

"I was simply well behaved."

"Not worth fifty points. Besides, this was after class. Teachers don't care how well behaved you are outside of class."

"Maybe it just wasn't me?"

"No, it was definitely you. I just can't figure out how."

"Well, I'm sorry. I guess I just don't have answers for you." She ran away and took a seat between Charlotte and Susan to get away from him. As soon as she sat, she noticed wide grins on their faces.

"Oh, god. What have you done now?" She asked.

"Nothing. I can't believe you think so little of us." Charlotte said.

"The last time you guys gave me grins like that, you tried to force me to engage in a sleepover."

"Well, we've just missed your face is all. You hardly come to breakfast, and the most we see of you is in classes. And the only class you actually interact in is charms where you and Hermione compete."

"I wasn't aware you were keeping track." Alexandra sighed, before spreading jam on on half the toast and butter on the other, before folding it.

"Come on, Alex. Talk to us for once, please? Like, more than just instructions during class. You've closed up."