26

Alexandra made her way back to her common room. She went into her dorm only to find Susan and Charlotte crouched over something.
"What happened?" She asked. The girls stepped aside to show Hannah with blue spots all over her body.

"I'm sorry." Hannah said. "I noticed you had an owl and I thought I'd feed her, but when she pecked my hand, these appeared all over. I didn't mean to-"

"It's not your fault, Hannah." Alexandra cut her off. "I should've warned you." Alexandra rummaged through her belongings. "How long ago was this?"

"A few minutes ago." Susan said. Alexandra brought out a blue vial and rushed over to Hannah.

"Drink this." Alexandra said, taking out the stopper. Hannah opened her mouth and Alexandra tipped the contents in before slapping her hand over Hannah's mouth ensuring she drank it. Hannah started to convulse and Susan and Charlotte moved forward to help. Alexandra didn't remove her hand until she was sure Hannah had swallowed it, and sat the girl up. A few moments later, Hannah's skin cleared up and she wasn't shaking anymore.

"What was that?" Charlotte asked. Alexandra hesitated.

"I'm sorry." She said. "I'm really really sorry."

"I've never seen a hex like that before."

"I can't say." She shook her head. "But I'm really sorry, Hannah. I really didn't mean for anyone to get hurt."

"What was in that vial?"

"It was a potion." Alexandra pocketed the empty vial. She walked over to her bedside table and picked up the owl cage. She moved the table to reach the unicorn hairs and shoved them in her pocket before walking to the door. "Just don't tell anyone, please, and don't touch my things. Please." She repeated, pleadingly, before rushing out.

She went past the DADA classroom hoping Quildemort would be there. To her luck he was, and she stormed inside. She put the vials of unicorn hairs on the table.
"I don't want your gifts." She said. "And I can't believe you cursed this poor creature."

"You can't?" He asked.

"Well yes, I can believe it. You're evil, but I want nothing to do with you."

"Alexandra."

"I don't want your stupid gifts. I don't want the unicorn hair. You probably took it off the unicorns you killed. I don't want an owl, or books. Not when they come from you or the face on the back of your head. Stay away from me. I mean it." Alexandra stormed away, still holding the owl cage.

"What are you going to do with the owl?" He asked, before she could leave the room.

"I'm going to save it."

"I'll hold onto it for you." He said.

"No, you'd probably snap its neck. You held me hostage for a year, I know your tricks Quildemort."

"Alexandra..." a small voice hissed.

"In case you didn't realise, Quildemort applies to both you and Quirrell, Voldemort. Stay away from me, and stay away from Harry Potter." This time she did leave the room and she rushed to the Potions lab, down by the Slytherin Dungeons. She knocked on the door.

"Miss Weasley." He said, looking up. He noticed the tears gathering in her eyes. "What's wrong?"

"Can you help me?" She asked.

"Of course. Come in, come in." He said. She walked in and out the cage on the table. He peered at it and held his hand out to touch it.

"Don't touch it!" She said. He stopped. "Can you keep a secret?" She asked, her voice quiet and vulnerable.

"Depends on the secret."

"I think I cursed her." She lied. She knew professor Snape would have no choice but to tell Dumbledore if she told him the truth. At least if she lied there was a chance he wouldn't tell Dumbledore. "I was looking for a privacy spell so that my roommates wouldn't touch my things."

"And you did a curse instead."

"You're really good at defence against the dark arts. Do you know the counter spell for all curses?"

"What curse was it?" He asked. She looked down. She knew which curse it was, she'd seen Voldemort use it a lot, but still. She couldn't explain that to Snape. "Alexandra."

"Alex." She huffed.

"You can tell me." He said. "What spell was it? You won't be in trouble." She searched his eyes for a hint of a lie, but found nothing.

"The bestia mutatio upon contact spell." She said. His eyes widened.

"How do you know that spell?" He asked, his tone cold and low. Alexandra looked down. "Alex, I need to know-"

"Please, Professor." She shook her head.

"Did anyone touch it?"

"No." She shook her head. "Please tell me you know the counter spell, professor."

"Yes." He said. "I do. But until I finish, you'll take a seat and tell me everything at the end." Alexandra didn't reply, but took a seat. She stayed looking down at her hands. At least one good thing had come from Hannah touching the owl- at least she knew what curse Quildemort used. It took Snape ten minutes to successfully de-curse the owl. He then turned to her. "Alex, where exactly did you hear that spell?" She shook her head.

"Please, Professor. I can't say."

"Yes you can. Anything you say in these walls stays in these walls. I just need to know where you heard it." She opened her mouth but he cut her off. "The truth, Alex." She blinked away her tears harshly. She didn't want Snape to see her crying.

"Professor, I can't say." She said. "I can't."

"Why not? You have nothing to be afraid of."

"I'm not afraid of anything." She shook her head. "But I still can't tell you."

"This is really important, Alex. Do you know what this spell could have done if someone had touched it?"

"It would have started out small- blue spots all over the body that slowly turned black. Then they would contort into an animal and be stuck in that form their entire life."

"Where did you learn about this spell?"

"I read it in a book." She said lamely. He sent her a look.

"That spell wasn't in any books."

"It was more like a... a journal I found."

"A journal you found where?"

"It was lodged under the sinks in the girls bathroom on the fifth floor."

"Uh huh." He said, unconvinced. "And where is this journal now?"

"I lit it on fire." She said. "And flushed the ashes down the toilet."

"Alex."

"Please Professor." She pleaded. "I can't."

"What can you tell me?"

"Can you donate the owl somewhere? Like to St. Mungo's or something."

"Why not give it to your family, and keep it?"

"I don't want it anywhere near me. Ever." She shook her head.

"I can do that, but where did you get this owl from?"

"It was a birthday present."

"Happy Birthday."

"It was last week."

"Happy late birthday, then." He amended. "Who bought it for you?"

"Someone." She shrugged. "You wouldn't know."