Chapter 4: Flirting, The 1898 Way

Hello, readers :)

Please play the music video because it's really important. It'll give you a glimpse of what the characters' clothes look like in 1898 and also, the music video is my inspiration on writing this story.

 It'll give you a glimpse of what the characters' clothes look like in 1898 and also, the music video is my inspiration on writing this story

Cariñosa Dance
Illustration by: japicasso, 2018

***

CHAPTER 4: Flirting, the 1898 Way

Everyone looked at me like I don't belong here. Well, technically I am from the present but they don't need to know that. Some of these young women are glaring at me while they hide their faces with their fan. Are they trying to intimidate me?

I suddenly remembered about a chapter on my history book on how the famous General Antonio Del Mundo attracted all the hearts of young women in every town he visits.

And yet, he never courted a girl.

"These girls are giving me death glares." I said.

"Why would they do that?" Antonio asked.

"Are you really not aware how charming you can be?" I blushed. Well, it was not the word I was going to say but it's too late for me to take it back now. Antonio smiled at me and I couldn't help but blush a little more.

"I'm aware now all thanks to you." Antonio said. He pulled back the chair and I sat on it. He pushed it forward with just enough space for me to move my feet under the table. "So what do you want to eat?"

"I would like a burger and some fries too." I said. Antonio looked confused and I laughed at him. It feels really nice to tease him. "Any food will do."

Antonio ordered tinolang manok (chicken) and caldereta. It's a food that still exists in my time but it's my least favorite Filipino food.

The young women made it very obvious that they were attracted to Antonio. I mean, they transferred to another table that was closer to us.

"What is up with these women and why are they all attracted to you?" I annoyingly asked.

Antonio looked at these young women and he flashed a smile at them. Their cheeks turned bright red.

"They seem lovely." Antonio said.

"And they all want you to father their child." I sarcastically said. Antonio laughed at me and I realized that I sound a little jealous.

"Do you want me to father your child?" He asked. I can feel that he's quite amused by me.

"I don't want kids." I spat. Kids are annoying and a financial drain. I really don't want that in my life. "They suck all the life out of you."

Antonio laughed but it soon faded away. His laughter was replaced by worry.

"Well, I guess I'll never have a child or a family of my own."

Ah, shit. I made him sad.

I awkwardly pat his back. I'm not good at comforting people when they're down. I'm only good at making them feel bad about themselves.