Chapter 32: The Miracle Of Antonio Del Mundo

CHAPTER 32: The miracle of Antonio Del Mundo

Antonio's POV

June 13, 1898 - the day after the Philippine Revolution.

We successfully won the battle against the Spaniards. A lot of my men we're relief when they found out that I'm back just in time for the battle.

When I was in the future, I spent my days reading history books and I'm aware that this isn't going to be the last battle we're going to face.

...but this is supposed to be my last battle. Maybe it was for my own good but Lana didn't tell me the reason how I died or rather, who killed me. She probably wants to spare me from mourning that a friend of mine is actually the traitor but I already know everything from reading.

We celebrated our victory at President Ronaldo Sarmionte's hacienda. It was an area far away from the town proper. It was already suspicious enough that he has taken us from a secluded area but my men are oblivious about his ulterior motive. As we were about to eat the feasts that his people prepared, one of his men decided to bring out his gun and started shooting my soldiers.

My soldiers only wanted to celebrate our victory. They didn't bring their guns and knives. They had no choice but to beg for their life to be spared but their dismay, they were not heard.

Does this satisfy you, president?

I already know that I am defeated. I did not fight back for the sake for everyone's future. The president did not hesitate to pull the trigger at me. He shot me twice on my chest and I can feel every pain in my body.

...but I did not die.

I was supposed to die but I didn't but why am I still fighting for my last breath?

They say that when you're about to meet your end, you'll have flashbacks of your life but it didn't happen to me. It was just pitch black.

***

I woke up with a heavy pain on my chest. I can even hear my own heartbeat thumping in an unusual way. I couldn't even lift my own head. Everything was painful but I was still alive.

I looked around my surroundings and I was inside of someone's bahay kubo. I looked outside the window and all I can see are rice fields. My attention shifted when I noticed that I wasn't alone. There was a pregnant woman who was sitting at the end of the bed. She was occupied by stitching the holes of my uniform.

"...where am I?" I mumbled.

The woman looked at me. Her eyes glimmered when she saw me conscious. It's as if her burden is lifted. She's a first person I know whose relief that I am alive.

Somehow, the woman's beauty is oddly similar to Lana.

"How long was I asleep?" I asked her.

"You've been asleep for a week." She approached me and touched my forehead. "It seems like your fever is going down."

"What happened?"

"You shouldn't ask such questions while you're still recovering." She softly said. Everything about her is gentle which is quite the opposite to Lana but regardless, she reminded me of her too much. "My husband will arrive in a bit and he'll answer your questions."

The woman took good care of me. She didn't allow me to even lift a finger. She fed me arroz caldo and she also gave me a sponge bath. Her gentle hands touched my skin and oddly enough, her presence comforted me about everything that's going on.

Am I really alive?

The day turned into night and her husband finally arrived. I have been eagerly waiting for him to come home. I've been wanting to know the answer on how I ended up at their residence.