Chapter 5: Hallelujah Indeed

The guy is wearing Camisa De Chino (correct me if I'm wrong)

Credits to the awesome owner ^^

***

CHAPTER 5: Hallelujah indeed

"Can you just shut up?!" I yelled at the shameless rooster who was making such a noise just outside my room. I got up from my bed and I opened the window. There I saw the rooster staring back at me. "I will cook you into a fried chicken." I said through gritted teeth.

"Good morning to you too, Lana." Clara was standing near the mango tree and she saw me yelling at their pet rooster. She was holding a basket full of mangoes. "How was your sleep?"

"It's fine. I had a good night sleep." I lied. I tried to convince myself that I had a good sleep but I didn't. Mosquitoes couldn't stop sucking the blood out of me and my room was hot.

"Well, you woke up just in time for church." Clara said. "Are you catholic?"

You see, the Spaniards were the ones who introduced Christianity in the Philippines. They built churches and cathedrals that were made out of stones. Even up to the present time, they are still standing and Filipinos are still very much religious.

"Isn't it too early for church?" I asked. Clara glared at me and I regret asking her that question.

"Lana, don't ever ask that question out loud again." Clara said. I apologetically looked at her. I forgot that most of the people in 1898 are religious. Maybe I should not tell her that I don't go to church or that I am somehow an atheist. "I already picked the clothes you're going to wear today. You can find it in our room."

"Great...another day wearing the national costume." I sarcastically said. "I'm so excited."

I went inside their room and I saw the clothes lying on the bed. I touched it and even its fabric is undeniably rough to touch. I looked around the room and I saw a pair of scissors. I stared at it blankly until I realized that I can cut my long skirt.

Grandpa said that I shouldn't get myself into trouble if I want to go back to my time just the way I left it but a little fashion change won't harm nobody.

Clara called my name as it was time to eat breakfast. I went to the dining room where she and grandpa were waiting for me. As I stepped inside the dining room, their eyes immediately landed on the skirt that I altered. They both looked at me in disbelief.

The long skirt is now an above the knee skirt.

"It's either this skirt or the tattered jeans." I said.

"Don't even bother altering the camisa, Lana." Clara warnes me. I have no intentions on altering it anyway. I just want my legs to be exposed and not my fat arms.

"Eat your breakfast, Lana. We don't want to miss church." Grandpa said. He tried not to be bothered but we all know he's the most bothered between the two of them. My skirt is short in this era's standard and I am much aware that I will gain everyone's attention especially at church but I don't care. Long skirts suck the liberated soul out of me.