Chapter 9: The Annoying Rules Of Time Travel

CHAPTER 9: The annoying rules of time travel

"Did you not get some sleep, Jay?" I asked him. He took a sip of black coffee and he looked at me while his eyes are twitching.

"A pleasant morning to you too, sister..." He sarcastically said. I sat across him at the table and I looked at all the files and food scattered around the table.

"I am impressed that you're doing a lot of effort with the time machine than your studies." I said. Jay glared at me. He really looked creepy with the dark bags under his eyes.

"Unlike some other person who went to sleep after her love quarrel with her boyfriend, I did my research." Jay said. I apologetically looked at him. I remembered that I was really frustrated at Antonio that I couldn't think straight. So, I went to sleep.

"He's not my boyfriend, Jay!" I blushed and Jay is just glaring at me endlessly.

"Really...?" He raised his eyebrow at me and snarled. "You can't fool me, sister."

"So, what did you learn from all research?" I asked. I don't want to talk about Antonio. So, I'm diverting the topic.

"I found out that the time travel rules of Back To The Future and Avengers: Endgame are total bullshit." Jay said. He showed me some notes that he wrote down that compared the time travel rules between the two movies and my experience. "Theories that are based from your time travel experience. So, hear me out."

"Knowledge for breakfast...that's cool." I murmured. Well, I do want to know about the rules of time travel.

"Since we are not on an alternate timeline and you went back to this time without any changes, I concluded that the change in the past is not yet catching up to the present time."

"What are you trying to say, Jay?" I asked. I am still trying to catch up all the things that he just said.

"You're an idiot." He grunted. "The dates, days, and months in the past are parallel to ours. The only difference between the present and the past are the years and events."

"Are you trying to say that the date today is also the date in the past?"

"Yes, it's because the present and past time are parallel to one another." Jay said. "Try to catch up, Lana!"

"So, our present time didn't change yet because the last battle of the Philippine Revolution is not yet happening." I said. I am somehow proud that my realization made me sound smart. "If we don't bring back Antonio before the last battle, then the changes will finally catch up."

"Yes! You finally understand!" He sighed in relief.

"But I spent 7 days in 1898 but then when I want back to our time, I was just gone for 2 hours?" I said. Jay's theory can somehow be logical but it contradicts to the tiny fact that I was only gone for 2 hours.

"This is the part where I say that time is tricky and has its limit for change." Jay said.

"Can you explain further?" I begged. Jay rolled his eyes at me.

"I know that I said that our time is parallel to the past and present but I think you were really gone for 7 days."

"But you said I was just gone for two hours." I said.

"Yeah, yeah..." He shrugged. "What if you were really gone for 7 days but when you came back, time moved backwards from the day you were gone and that's why you were just gone for 2 hours?"

"That still doesn't make sense."

"It's still a theory, Lana." He said in a duh tone. "What if time between the present and past moved backwards so that it'll give space for changes that you made while you were stuck in the past?"