Chapter 33: What Year Am I In?

It has been a month since I last updated a chapter. Honestly, the pandemic really took a toll on my productivity. I hope you guys are all safe.

***

CHAPTER 33: What year am I in?

Antonio'S POV

Tonight is my last night with Theodore and his family. I have always expressed my gratitude that they took me in without hesitation. For a year, they have been my family that I thought I could never experience ago. Although it saddens me that I will no longer see them again, I am finally looking forward for my future.

Theodore saw me gazing the stars under the caimito tree. I didn't notice that he approached me not until he placed two glasses of fermented coconut wine beside me.

"Don't you think it's a good night to have one last drink with your best friend?" Theodore said.

"When you say it that way, I couldn't dare reject your offer." I chuckled.

"I'm certain that no one will recognize you with that disheveled hair of yours and untamed beard." He said.

"It took me a year to grow this length of facial hair and I think I look good with it." I proudly said.

"Well...you haven't looked yourself at the mirror then." He jokingly said. I know that Theodore won't admit it but he would rather want me to stay here. It would keep him sane to know that I am safe but as my best friend, he doesn't want to be the hindrance of my happiness.

"Send my regards to the woman who owns your heart." Theodore added.

"I'll tell her everything." I smiled.

"Alright..." Theodore stood up and raised his glass. "Let's cheer one last time for our friendship."

"For our friendship..." I said.

I stood up and our glasses clinked. It was the last time that Theodore saw me. It's somehow bittersweet but I know that our friendship will last more than a lifetime.

***

It took me a day and a half to reach the town proper. After a year of my supposed death, a lot has changed already. I saw a lot of passersby wearing suit and tie instead of camisa de chino. It wasn't a pleasant sight that we're slowly losing our own identity. Is this what you want, president? It disgusts me to think about that you wanted our country to be colonized again and for what? Money...? Greed...? Or power...?

I arrived at the Espinoza residence and it's unusually peaceful. I looked around and noticed that there are no leaves on the ground. It seems like they are recently swept. They're probably still living here.

I was standing at the main door for an hour. I wanted to knock but I was having a hard time constructing an explanation to them. How do I explain to them that the Baldivias took me in? How will Clara feel?

"If you want solicitation, I don't have any money." I turned around and I saw Clara holding a basket of vegetables. I have only been away for a year but it seems like her physical appearance drastically changed in such short time.

"It's been a while, Clara." I smiled. Despite the change of my appearance, the gentle tone of my voice made her recognize me in an instant.

"Are you..." Clara gasped. The basket of vegetables fell off the ground and I did not hesitate to pick it up because she's still in the state of disbelief. "Where have you been, child."

She lightly squeezed my face just to make sure that she isn't hallucinating.

"It's an ironic story...." I said.